Shredded Au$50 Blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dai Sensei

Dai Sensei

Unlike the US & Canadian money, it is illegal to damage an Australian currency and our current notes are also a plastic product.

Australian_$50_note_polymer_front.jpg

I have been thinking about doing some in Au$'s for a while, so found some fake, slightly larger and only printed one side $50 notes by a gold buying company, using them to advertise their company on the other side. They were a similar plastic type material, and once shredded it was unlikely you could tell the difference between the real and the fake, so I thought I would give them a go.

So I shredded two up to try. Being a $50 only on one side meant I had to stick the shreds on one by one on the tube with thick CA. I wasn't exactly happy with it initially, as there wasn't much depth to the shreds :redface:, but once I had enough thickness I cast it in a resin saver mold to see how it turned out.

As an alternative I stuck 2 notes together so it was a $50 on both sides. I then shredded them so I could place them in a standard blank mold for casting. I then drilled and stuck in a sleeve as normal. Because the 2 notes stuck together makes them stiffer, they did tend to stack rather than bundle, which I was worried about :frown:.

Anyway, here they both are, on Gold Ti Elegant Beauty's.

1_50_pen1.JPG
1_50_pen2.JPG

As expected, the single sided ones do not have much depth, but is Ok I guess, as you can see it is from $50 notes. The other has an interesting pattern, but you can't tell they are notes. Perhaps if they were made from long strips of shred, instead of the shorter random stuff, they would bundle better. As the notes were printed on white paper/plastic, after turning down to size, I stained the exposed paper edges with a yellow dye before finishing them with CA.

Either way, now I have tried it, I don't think I'll be doing any more . Time to move on to the next challenge - feathers .

Cheers

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

neubee

Neil it sounds like this was a lot of work, I like how you explained your process and results. Thank you I can't wait to see the feathers.

seamus7227

VERY INTERESTING TUT, HOWEVER IM CONFUSED ABOUT THE CURRENCY. ARE YOU SAYING THAT YOUR MONEY IS PLASTIC LIKE A CREDIT CARD RATHER THAN PAPER? COULD YOU POST A PIC OF THE THIS CURRENCY?

nava1uni

The money is a very thin plastic material that is bendable and you can fold your bills. The new money in Mexico and several countries in Europe are the same. The money in Mexico has a small piece that is holographic to prevent counterfeiting the money. It has a slick feel to it. Looks just like regular currency, just feels different.

Jgrden

Cindy, very interesting. I'd like to see some of it. As an old bank auditor who counted millions of paper dollars in a vault, I would like to see how easy this stuff slips through your grip while counting. Of course this was before the 'ticometers' that count cash automatically. The electric machines we had back then would fail easily.

Russianwolf

Unlike the US & Canadian money, it is illegal to damage an Australian currency and our current notes are also a plastic product.

It'a also illegal to intentionally destroy currency in the US and Canada. The difference is what the government does. Here, currency that is taken out of circulation are shredded and some of it is sold by the Government as souvenirs. In Australia, the Polymer currency is melted and used to make trash cans and other items of recycled plastic.

I like the double faced pen myself.

Dai Sensei

Thanks for the comments.

The money is a very thin plastic material ......

thanks Cindy

It'a also illegal to intentionally destroy currency in the US and Canada. The difference is what the government does. Here, currency that is taken out of circulation are shredded and some of it is sold by the Government as souvenirs. In Australia, the Polymer currency is melted and used to make trash cans and other items of recycled plastic..

Thanks for the info.

Pens By Scott

The Pens look great!
As for Shredded Canadian money, I don't believe that we Canadians are allowed to destroy or deface money either. What I do believe is that you can approach the mint, and put in an application for their shredded/destroyed currency. From what I have heard there are a number of regulations around it (e.g. not allowed to make paper from it)

I wonder if Australia has a similar policy?

Top Bottom