Showing off my pens - website style

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Greg O'Sherwood

Hi all!
Some of you may remember that I have been asking about photography and website development for a while now. Others of you may just be asking "WTFRU???" :biggrin:

Regardless and despite my lack of quality knowledge of either artform, I have launched my new website for showing pens -I may even sell a few, but I doubt it. I priced myself high so I won't have to make too many, I already have a job, turning is FUN. If I sell too many, I'll raise the prices more. :wink:

The ultimate impetus for this was that I am back in school for another Masters degree (Marketing) and this is a small portion of that thesis/classwork.

I have to thank 'Mater from this forum (and WWZ) for shoving me off the turning cliff and many of you for the incessant pushes! While my penturning isn't even average compared to most of you folks, and my photography is even worse, this has been fun and enlightening. Building the site took me about 4 hours, and I've never done it before. Thanks to GoDaddy's Website Tonight system!

Anyway- click on the peerlesspens link in my signature line, and sign in with your thoughts on the final page if you like. You can falsify info that it asks for if you are shy.

Thank you ALL for the education you have given me and hope you continue shoving me further into the abyss!!

Gregory.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimB

It's not fancy but it's a good site. Very easy to use. I agree with Richard. Your prices are not high. I actually think some of your prices are on the lower side. I know you don't have any pictured but you list slims as being available at $15. That is very low.

I would like to see the $2000 pen please.

Yeah? Me too!!:biggrin:

Back in 1998, I purchased a small packet of loose diamonds. They were intended to be made into a gift for a very special woman. Unfortunately, she died before that could be done. Someday I may use those rocks for a special project pen and matching jewelry, but I haven't come up with a plan yet. My penmaking skills have to improve quite a bit before that day, of course. Maybe a pen with just a solitare princess cut, or baguettes...

Okay, so most of the comment are "clean look" - I translate that as "boring", right? I'll see if I can do a changing banner to move things around a bit.

Prices aren't too high? really????? Perhaps it is just a regional thing?? Here in KC, I doubt they would sell at all at a higher range here...

OKLAHOMAN

Okay, so most of the comment are "clean look" - I translate that as "boring", right? I'll see if I can do a changing banner to move things around a bit.

Prices aren't too high? really????? Perhaps it is just a regional thing?? Here in KC, I doubt they would sell at all at a higher range here...

Greg, the site might need a little tweaking but as to prices remember your tiring to sell on the www. (World wide Web) and thats certanly not regional. But also I'm in OKC and the avg. income here is under your market and I do get 2-3 times what you are selling on the web for, you will never get top $ unless you ask for it...

Daniel

Greg, Keep in mind you are not selling to KC anymore. I have had orders from Italy, South Africa, England, Canada, and Australia from my web site. As for the US, I think I am closing in on all 50 by now. Never sold a pen to anyone in Nevada through the site.
I do not get a ton of orders with my web site, I also do not promote it at all and still get a random order here and there. Nothing that is to time consuming.

Good points, guys. I guess I can raise the prices soon. I may wait until I get the better pics up.

Quick question to those of you who have their own sites; How do you get it to show up on Google search?

Also, what picture resolution/size do you use on your site to look good, but not use up too much memory? I am uploading mine at 800x600 and about 22kb's.

JimB

Maybe not boring but not exciting either. I think just changing the font in the pen descriptions and maybe adding a little more wording to fill the white space would go a long way to improving it. I like that the pictures are big.

As others have said, you're not marketing to KC, you're marketing to everyone everywhere when you have a site. You will never get more if you don't ask for more.

Maybe not boring but not exciting either. I think just changing the font in the pen descriptions and maybe adding a little more wording to fill the white space would go a long way to improving it. I like that the pictures are big.
Thanks for the suggestions. I only have a few fonts to work with since I am using an inexpensive plan, but I'll see what may look better. I also want to rotate the pages so that the "pen guy" page (my wife's idea) is last.

Moosewatcher

Nice looking web site. Prices are not too high, not too low, just about right. Why not add a shopping cart, subscribe to PayPal and grab the peoples money while they are all excited after looking at those cool pens.

Ken

toolcrazy

I think you have a very nice site there. Only thought I had was...

"How do I order a pen"

You need to be a little more straight forward with that information..

Thanks again, guys!

I am not prepared to take orders online. I actually do not want to. It costs another $8/month to do that with the service I am using. I do have a Paypal account that I can use if I get an order request via email or phone.

This is mainly a task for my enjoyment and hobby. I don't want to do it for a living - that's why I listed everything at a high price (or thought I did until I got some of your comments :redface:). I'll get up some more pics this weekend. If I start selling too many, I'll raise the prices more, and get online ordering added to the site.:eek:

Top Bottom