Showa Koi Atrax Rollerball

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jmbaker79

jmbaker79

Spent a lot of time neck snapping away from the lathe and checking to make sure I wasnt bleeding from embedded acrylic on this one! This Koi material seemed super chiptastic, (carbide R4) not sure what it is made from but it seems like cast overhead transparencies, or maybe cast fish food flakes. That being said, I love it, and well worth the time! I ended up under turning by quite a bit and just sanding down to the correct dimensions to avoid chippping it out. It features orange, black, and pearlized white, but when viewed from different angles it shimmers with deep silvers, just like koi scales. The Red Dot just showed up after I rounded it out, something in the casting, but hey! Ill take it, I like it. My father raised Koi when I was younger, so I was really excited to get this one finished up. Paired it up with a coal black cap. (Secret -> I forgot to paint the tube as Im use to using alt ebony from EB for straight black, which i never back paint. So you can see the tube, sorta, but it is so faint that it seems to just give a undertone to the black. Doesnt look like a brass tube, so not sure if I will change it. If so it will end up all black.) Chrome atrax, which I really like, nice weight, and size to it. Simple to show off the blanks, nice straight line shape. C&C Welcome!

Attachments

• IMG_8782.jpg
    IMG_8782.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 205
  • KOI Rotation.jpg
    KOI Rotation.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 253
  • KOI Scales.jpg
    KOI Scales.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 171
  • KOI1.jpg
    KOI1.jpg