show us your first pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from drayman

drayman

i came across my very first pen today, and i got thinking,who else has still got their very first pen they made. i should imagine not many. any way here is my fist one i ever did.
its made of mahogany and sanded to 240 as thats all i had.

Attachments

• HPIM0295.jpg
    HPIM0295.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 204
  • HPIM0296.jpg
    HPIM0296.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

workinforwood

Pretty nice pen. My wife has my first pen and it dissappears and then re-emerges every so often. So, I know it isn't gone, just don't know where it is as it travels between her purse, her car and her work. It was a slim too, although segmented, and was a friction finish, which actually still doesn't look too worn.

bitshird

I still have mine, it's on my desk, I don't use it any ,more, but I'll keep it, they are excellent scales to balance when you begin to where your at, this was done on cedar from my back yard, with home made bushings and a home made mandrel on a lathe at work. If memory serves me it was sanded to 360 sprayed with a few coats of deft semi gloss then wet sanded and buffed, I just checked it and it still writes, but getting a small crack right at the nib.:frown:

Attachments

• First-Pen.jpg
    First-Pen.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:

RDH79

The first pen I made cracked when I tried to assemble it. The second got mixed up in a bunch I gave to all the ladys at our family Christmas party. So I know its still in the family somewhere.

keithkarl2007

it doesn't seem that long ago when i turned my first pen, heck i don't think i,ve had the lathe more than 4 months, its a dark blue and black actylic on a gun metal slimline

Attachments

• new 091.JPG
    new 091.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 165

drayman

come on tommy, lets see it. as the new guys to pen turning can see how much we have improved, just to inspire them :wink:

MobilMan

drayman--by cracky, that"s a spittin image of our first pen. Same wood, same shape. I turned one half & LomL turned the other. I think sanded to 400 & friction polish. It stays in one of my display boxes & will from now on. That's the only time the wife has done anything with a lathe. Can't get her interested.. We went in to the Woodcraft in Albuquerque N.M. Christmas eve afternoon to check out "pen turnin' stuff. Bought a starter kit & lots of stuff we might need. Anyway it was almost closing time, maybe 15 minutes, & the young man asked the boss if he could show us how to turn a pen. Yes. So we did. Very nice staff, didn't seem in any hurry to get us out the door.

I still have my first and still use it regularly.. it lays on my dresser and when I need to carry a pen, I'll stick it in my pocket.. it's a European style that uses the Parker style refills and was on an 8mm mandrel... only time I ever used that mandrel... it's made from olivewood, sanded through about 300 or so and probably polished with Hut Wax.. all worn off now, after seven years of use. I have the lower barrel a hair short, so the refill doesn't retract completely. Don't have a picture of it handy.

PaulDoug

Here's mine. I gave it to my wife, she lost it a few weeks ago and has had a fit. Torn the house up carried, on something fierce. I try to tell her no big deal but you know women (I don't)!

Attachments

• mini-Pen 1 Feb 2008.jpg
    mini-Pen 1 Feb 2008.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 165

Grizz

Banned
My first pen was this Atlas pen back in November:

Attachments

• Atlas Ambrosia 1st Pen b.jpg
    Atlas Ambrosia 1st Pen b.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 99
I made my first pen back in Nov. or Dec of 2004.

Paduak Satin nickel slim wraped in from woodcraft. Still works and I use it occasionally. Lost it to customers walking off with it a couple of times but a few harassing calls got it back luckily.

1_first.jpg

Last edited:

toolcrazy

I don't know which my first was. I made eight that week and sent six of them to my former Zen Cart partners and my wife has the other pair. The were part of a starter kit I purchased for PSI. 4 slimline Pen and 4 slimline pencils made from pre drilled rosewood and finished with friction polish. My wife still uses hers to this day. Along with several others she has swiped from me.:eek: :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Last edited:

jskeen

I found it! I knew I had it around here somewhere. It was hiding in a pen cup full of sharpies on my other desk. Yep, it still looks funny too :)

Attachments

• pen1.jpg
    pen1.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 128

gerryr

This was my first in July 2005, one of 2 kits purchased at Woodcraft in Bloomington, MN while on vacation. The wood came from a bin at Woodcraft and I never did know what it was. The finish is friction polish. My wife still has this and won't tell me where it is.
1_PICT0049.jpg

bad

I gave my first pen to my mother as a Christmas gift. She's in a nursing home now in Toronto and is mostly deaf, therefore I can't call her (OK, I can call but she won't pick up). I'm in Calgary and can only get to visit her once an year at best. She uses the pen every once in a while to write me a letter.

Top Bottom