Show Low Assembly Line!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Texatdurango

Texatdurango

While technically not pens yet, here are some pens I am working on. I am making four different style pens, each having 10 colors I mixed from Alumilite and have five weeks to get them finished.

With that in mind I can't make them one at a time as I usually do so I'm cranking 'em out assembly line style! :biggrin:

Actually it's not a bad idea making 10 at a time, sure saves setup time on the lathes.

Attachments

• assy-line.jpg
    assy-line.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 505
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OKLAHOMAN

George thats what I've been doing on component pens but this is a first that I've seen on component-less pens. Really like your idea f 3-4 different styls . Nice display case fixture. Looks like you made it just for your pens.

IPD_Mr

Those are really nice. If I didn't know better I would want to see your CNC lathe. Looking forward to a completed photo.

Texatdurango

I made the pen cases a few years ago but quit doing shows and never used them. They are mahogony with redheart corner splines. I used that spray on flocking and wasn't really satisfied with it so now they are just trays to keep pens in while I'm building them.

I do have a few similar cases that have velvet liners that are suitable for putting pens in while showing customers. I might go ahead and make a few more use them instead of acrylic stands to display the pens either in my studio or at a show.

Texatdurango

Man George, those colors are gorgeous!!
Thanks, I have been experimenting with different PearlEx powders, mixing varying amounts and blending them until I got the look I was looking for, a gentle blend of similar shades with a "mild" tight grain look, similar to many vintage pens I have seen. The blanks are coming out the same between batches, so close that I'm confident that if something were to happen to a pen cap, I could replace it a year later and it should match the lower barrel both in color and grain pattern.

Texatdurango

Those are really nice. If I didn't know better I would want to see your CNC lathe. Looking forward to a completed photo.
About 30% of the work is done on my metal lathe and the rest on my large Jet lathe since the variable speed control on my mini lathe that I put on less than four weeks ago died on me already!

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
There's no doubt that it saves tons of setup time, but doing batches of pens drives me nuts. I've only done batches of kit pens for my wifes school kids but I really hate doing it.

76winger

Doing them in batches really helps you optimize your setup times. Especially for the cutting, drilling, and glue-up processes. And a little on turning due to using the same bushings several times in a row and not swapping around a lot. The process really helped me last summer, during vacations from the day-job that were spent in the shop to boost inventory for the upcoming Christmas season.

The trays do look pretty good, although I understand about the flocking. It ends up a rather thin layer with hard wood under it. Not the best for pens you want to show off and remain scratch free for selling. You're doing good, you're organized and have some great style on your pens!

Texatdurango

Doing them in batches really helps you optimize your setup times. Especially for the cutting, drilling, and glue-up processes. And a little on turning due to using the same bushings several times in a row and not swapping around a lot. The process really helped me last summer, during vacations from the day-job that were spent in the shop to boost inventory for the upcoming Christmas season.

The trays do look pretty good, although I understand about the flocking. It ends up a rather thin layer with hard wood under it. Not the best for pens you want to show off and remain scratch free for selling. You're doing good, you're organized and have some great style on your pens!

I understand the cutting and drilling but what are bushings? :confused:

Texatdurango

Jeremy, I have the Grizzly 4000 metal lathe

Steven, I agree with you, while doing pens in small batches like this saves time, I wouldn't do it all the time. I turned and threaded all 20 of the finials at once and after about a dozen I was standing there thinking..... didn't I just do this step, oh no, that was on the last one!

One good thing will come out of it for sure, it will be a constant reminder in case someone calls me wanting 50 pens, I'll know exactly what to tell them! :biggrin:

76winger

I understand the cutting and drilling but what are bushings? :confused:

Kinda tells ya what corner I have yet to turn doesn't it? :beauty:

ashaw

George

Great job on the pens. Batching it is the only why to go on production turning. Good luck in LA hope you sell then all.

Alan

Top Bottom