Shoulda stayed out of the workshop today.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Drstrangefart

Drstrangefart

552228_388028964590508_1505216851_n.jpg

540778_388029027923835_1961928042_n.jpg

575898_388029101257161_1073866049_n.jpg

So, I had a blank where one end was a burl cap, so I decided to fill it with resin. Went well until the other end shattered on the lathe. Unstable stuff. I did what I thought I was supposed to do, flooded the hole after drilling with thin CA, let it set up, added more thin CA, re-drilled it to clean out the excess, glue made it pretty much all the way on the tube. I grabbed the thick CA, made a collar just below the damage, made a cone on it out of tape, and filled THAT with more resin. Worked out well. Then it wouldn't separate from the bushing on that end. Did a bit of damage removing it from the bushing. Then the cap tried 3 or 4 times to turn sideways during assembly, causing some more damage. Had I not spent so much effort getting this one to assembly, I would have just removed the furniture and hit the barrel with a hammer. Shoulda just stayed upstairs today. The other half of the burl also shattered on the lathe.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jjartwood

Hey,
sometimes they look like beautiful pens and sometimes their ugly enough to be modern art
but all the time they have a lesson for us,
It must look worst to you than it does to me cause' it looks good from here.
Mark

Drstrangefart

Hey,
sometimes they look like beautiful pens and sometimes their ugly enough to be modern art
but all the time they have a lesson for us,
It must look worst to you than it does to me cause' it looks good from here.
Mark

I love how the pen turned out, it just put the frustration level to right at the breaking point to do such a simple, straightforward job. Tools wouldn't cooperate, CA was being difficult, things were shattering on the lathe. I'm already a relatively high-strung dude if I'm not paying enough attention to my state of mind. Just didn't need to get that aggravated.

renowb

Allan, good save. I CA'd a two piece blank on the mandrel the other day. You talkin' about p**ed off! It was welded on that sucker! I did finally get it off. Your pen came out really nice.

Drstrangefart

Allan, good save. I CA'd a two piece blank on the mandrel the other day. You talkin' about p**ed off! It was welded on that sucker! I did finally get it off. Your pen came out really nice.

Yikes! Actually, CA on the mandrel like that is easy enough to fix. Just heat the mandrel up a good bit. I have done that before. Took all kindsa craziness and a ruined bushing before I knew to add heat. Thanks on the pen, too.

Bowl Slinger

Sometimes you just shake your head and say "WHY?" I have a done that many times, look back and ask myself was it worth all the time that it cost me. But on the other hand I do not like the circular file and find a way to save everything that I can. So to you I say "nice save", the pen turned out just like it was meant to. A person once asked me how I come up with the designs that I produce. I told her that the wood tells me what it wants to be. She thought that was strange and I couldn't explain it to her. As a fellow turner I sure that you know what I mean.

Drstrangefart

Sometimes you just shake your head and say "WHY?" I have a done that many times, look back and ask myself was it worth all the time that it cost me. But on the other hand I do not like the circular file and find a way to save everything that I can. So to you I say "nice save", the pen turned out just like it was meant to. A person once asked me how I come up with the designs that I produce. I told her that the wood tells me what it wants to be. She thought that was strange and I couldn't explain it to her. As a fellow turner I sure that you know what I mean.

I've said the same thing before. Setting out with a final size and shape for the work already planned is the exception that proves the rule.

SDB777

Some days your the windshield, some days your the bug.....seems like you got through it pretty good though. Even bugs get to bounce off once-in-awhile:wink:

Scott (I'm just a bug) B

Drstrangefart

Some days your the windshield, some days your the bug.....seems like you got through it pretty good though. Even bugs get to bounce off once-in-awhile:wink:

Scott (I'm just a bug) B

Or sometimes the bug bounces off the windshield, gets sucked into the side window and stings some people before it dies. I try to be that bug when things get crazy.

Top Bottom