THIS should redeem that last pen.... Antler on Cigar!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Drstrangefart

Drstrangefart

226902_168592896534117_100001502242963_403783_5285633_n.jpg

I decided to finally go ahead and put some antler on a cigar kit. Only issue I had was white stuff showing up in the bark I couldn't get back out. There's always next time. I feel that a gold kit may have been a much better choice, but I only have a couple of black ones around the workshop.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithlong

I have made several pens with deer antler. My most recent ones were a couple of jr. gents, one apollo infinity and a couple of cigars. The cigars were chrome kits and the antler looks good on chrome and also on gold kits. If you put a CA finish on the antler, then the white stuff is CA. I sand antler to 600 grit then MM to 12000 then a coat of car wax on it. Hope this helps. OH by the way the pen looks good.

Drstrangefart

I have made several pens with deer antler. My most recent ones were a couple of jr. gents, one apollo infinity and a couple of cigars. The cigars were chrome kits and the antler looks good on chrome and also on gold kits. If you put a CA finish on the antler, then the white stuff is CA. I sand antler to 600 grit then MM to 12000 then a coat of car wax on it. Hope this helps. OH by the way the pen looks good.

Thanks! It's something with the CA, I realized I was gonna do more damage than good trying any harder to fix it. Normally don't have that happen with CA on deer antler.

boxerman

Very nice pen. I did a razor with a piece antler on it and put a ca finish on it and it left yellowish stripes. So I redid the finish on it and MM it and put couple coats of plastic polish on it. It look alot better.

JohnU

Nice work. I prefer black ti with antler and wouldn't change a thing. Also nice leave with the natural texture. It's worth more that way.

Drstrangefart

There you go man!!! Way to recover! Very nice pen. I'm liking the exposed piece on the top section.

The exposed bark was kind of a happy accident. I had it planned out to use a piece where 50% of the barrel was pure skull material, then catch the joint, then be antler on the bottom half. That piece didn't cooperate on the drill press, and I ended up salvaging the job with literally the last piece of antler on that beam that was thick eough to do the job. It was a lopsided looking mess that I was afraid I was gonna have to scrub. I love the shape of the bark right there.

Top Bottom