Shotgun pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ohiococonut

ohiococonut

I've only been turning for a couple of months but about a month back I thought I'd try my hand at a shotgun pen. When I got the wood it looked like wet particle board that had dried out and ready to fall apart. I never imagined it would look like this.

It's spalted maple burl. I did a little research and figured out how to stabilize it and finished it with ca. The cap is black acrylic and the two lines on it are reflection. I blew out two blanks before I figured out they were barely big enough to drill and changed my technique. Don't think it turned out too bad. Constructive criticism welcome.

Shotguncapoff.jpg

Yea, my picture taking skills leave a lot to be desired. I used a cheap camera and my back porch :rolleyes:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gawdelpus

Passed Away May 11, 2015
In Memoriam
Looks good to me :) I have not done one of these kits ,but would be tempted to do a bright red cap as I seem to remember shotgun shells in that color from way back hehe, each new pen and material adds to the experience file ,and it never seems to get full lol. Cheers ~ John

GColeman

Ohiococonut said:
"I did a little research and figured out how to stabilize it."

The pen looks nice. However, I was interested in the above statement. I have been working with some maple burl. I have been stabilizing as I turn with thin CA. If you would be so kind, how are you stabilizing yours?

Texatdurango

Well, from what I can see, it looks like you did a nice job with your sizing and the finish has a nice smooth looking shine to it!

This is the first time I have seen a shotgun shell kit and to be honest, this having nothing to do with your skills, I don't think the shotgun cap really matches the bullet nib, to me it doesn't make sense. I think these kit makers are grasping at straws to make a kit for every type of firearm, I'm surprised they didn't use an m-16 clip!:eek:

hewunch

Well, from what I can see, it looks like you did a nice job with your sizing and the finish has a nice smooth looking shine to it!

This is the first time I have seen a shotgun shell kit and to be honest, this having nothing to do with your skills, I don't think the shotgun cap really matches the bullet nib, to me it doesn't make sense. I think these kit makers are grasping at straws to make a kit for every type of firearm, I'm surprised they didn't use an m-16 clip!:eek:

George it is supposed to be an over under concept.

workinforwood

I couldn't agree more George! This is a beautiful pen in what the turner has done with it, the wood choice and finish and fit..awesome..but what's a rifle nib doing inside a shotgun shell? I know when I made what I think may have been the first ever shot gun shell pen, with a real 20 guage..I had a brass point on the nib but not bullet shaped in any way, but rather just to offset the brass primer and clip...I hope PSI didn't interpret my inspiration that way. :befuddled:

ohiococonut

Thanks for the comments. I guess I should have explained the concept of the Over & Under shotgun pen but I "assumed" everyone had already made them, my bad :redface:.

The shell casing is supposed to be 12ga and it has an over & under shotgun clip. It's almost the size of a 20ga shell. The pen itself replicates a 30cal, .308 cartridge and is split. It's 24k gold plated with a rose gold bullet tip. If you use a large blank, 7/8" or larger for the cap they're not bad, but starting with a 3/4" blank is really pushing it and you have to be very careful drilling it out because it ends up very thin when you're finished.

I stabilized the blanks by soaking them in Minwax wood hardener in a mason jar until they sank then stood them upright for a day or two to dry. It made them much easier to work with even though you still have to use a little ca in the turning process. There's no way I could have turned the blanks without soaking them unless I used an entire bottle of ca. If you use a container to soak them you have to put the lid on so it doesn't evaporate. Just don't screw or secure the lid on or you won't get it off.

I have turned the caps in red simulating WWAA shells and curly maple for the pen body. It's a really big pen but they seem to like them around here.

Top Bottom