A shortened sierra click and something new for me

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Rick_G

Rick_G

Decided to shorten the click and try something new at the same time. Black titanium finish. Curly maple with pieces of DVD case for the black lines. A perfect fit for my bandsaw blade kerf.

Attachments

• 0428.jpg
    0428.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 241
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gmcnut

Very nice. I'd like to see how you put the blank together. Thank you for sharing.

Rick_G

Very nice. I'd like to see how you put the blank together. Thank you for sharing.

this is actually the 3rd try. The first one (the one shown in these pictures) the drill went off center so looked like garbage. Second and this one I drilled the blank first with a 1/4" drill bit. With the second after getting the blank put together I drilled with the 27/64 drill right away. Wrong thing to do the blank blew apart into little pieces. On the third I worked my way up a couple drill sizes at a time. This worked.

I drilled the blank with a 1/4" drill mounted it between centers and turned it round. Marked the end of the blank using the paper template then extended the lines along the blank. 1st picture.

2nd picture shows the jig I set up to hold the blank at the right angle. Pencil line on the jig is to line up the indexing lines drawn on the blank for each cut.

VisExp no movie, empty cases 4 for a dollar at the dollar store.

3rd picture shows the blank sitting on the jig and lined up with the band saw blade for a cut. In use I actually mounted the jig to a cut off sled I have for the band saw. Cut with the bandsaw until you just reach the pencil line on the blank that is aligned with the line on the jig. This is half way through the blank. Remove it glue the insert in and once the glue sets trim the insert flush with the blank. Place it back on the sled and line it up for the next cut. This one has 5 cuts. A slightly different angle is needed for other pen styles because of blank length so a jig would be needed for each one.

There are probably easier ways to do it but that's what I came up with.

Attachments

• DCP_0409.JPG
    DCP_0409.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 88
  • DCP_0414.JPG
    DCP_0414.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 103
  • DCP_0419.JPG
    DCP_0419.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 98
Top Bottom