Shell Casings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Sawdustier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sawdustier

I've seen so many nice looking pens from shell casings, I just had to try it too. These are Bolivian Rosewood, Mesquite, Black/Silver acrylic, Bolivian Rosewood, and Rose Myrtle Burl. These are a combination euro (top) with slimline tip on a 30-06 casing. Finish is CA on wood and clear enamel spray on the casing. What is everyone using to finish the brass with? I tried CA but was not at all pleased with my results so went with the spray enamel but don't know how it's going to hold up.
I went to the local gun shop to their reload dept and was browsing through the casings when a gentleman asked what size I was looking for. Imagine the look on his face when I told him I don't know, I'm trying to find one that fits this and held up the pieces of my pen kit:D He still has no clue what I was trying to do but was very helpful, so I promised him a pen.
tn_ShellCasings.jpg

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I knew nothing about guns, ammo or anything gun related when I started experimenting with my casing pen last February.
The slim line kits take a 30-06 or a 308 I believe eiher magnum or regular.
There maybe others but those are popular.
Go to a shooting range and see if you can get the emties.
As far as the finish,they shine up well with MM but I have found that if there are a few defects left in them it is a little more appealing.
I don't care working with some of the new shells I bought.THey haven't been "fire formed ion the chamber and there are manufactering defects visable when I polish them up.
I use Never-full and renwax.
I'll let the buyer decide to plish it or let it show patina.
I don't want any tarnish under a coating and then have to repair it.(I actually enjoy polishing the few brass things I have.)

mrcook4570

Nice looking pens. Any of the .30 caliber cartridges will give a good fit with a slimline nib. These include those that Eagle mentioned, .300 Win Mag, .300 H&H Mag, .30-30 Win, .300 Savage, .300 Weatherby Mag, .30-378 Wby Mag, .300 WSM, .300 Rem Ultra Mag, .30-40 Krag, .30 M-1 carbine, .308 Norma Mag, 7.62 x 39, 7.62 x 54R, and I'm sure some others that have slipped my mind. If you are a reloader, any cartridge could work simply by sizing the neck to .30 caliber. The Euro nibs should work with .338 caliber rounds including the .338 Win Mag and the .340 Wby Mag.

As for a finish on the case, I throw them (cases only) in the tumbler (corn cob media with brass polish) for 30 min or so and leave them natural. I would assume that most (if not all) cartridge case pens will be bought or given to hunters or shooters, and IMHO, a finish on a case just wouldn't look or feel right.

Docsmith45

Really nice looking pens. I've made a few casing pens and am working on a different idea now. I've tried various finishes and like them left pretty natural also. I have also considered having some powdered coated but haven't tried that yet. I like your choice of woods.

There is a big variety 30 caliber casings to try. I have scavenged some casings from blanks my VFW post used in firing squads at funerals. I don't have any rifles in 30 caliber so I have to scrounge too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom