She wanted pink, only....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from RSidetrack

RSidetrack

she didn't specify what kind.

So here is the story. My wife, who is a nurse, was at work with her pen I had made her one night and a fellow nurse loved it, asked if I could make one - but "pink."

So, naturally I said sure thing, I mixed up some acrylic, some red here, some white there - some pearlex here and there - and came up with this fella:

Sierra-1.jpg

Sierra-2.jpg

Sierra-3.jpg

Sierra-4.jpg

...ONLY...

She wanted hot pink. So back to trying to cast a good blank. I failed miserably many times. I ended up with some purples, some more red than pinks, etc. I went through several mixing attempts and gave up. I figured I knew of a different way, though I had never done it before, so why not struggle with something completely new!

Out came the Hot Pink Polymer Clay! Threw it through the pasta machine several times, thinned it out, rolled it onto a sierra tube, baked. Put it on the lathe, smoothed out, sanded. Perfect, looked good. Then I went and cast it in acrylic. Why? Why not make it solid PC or just use CA to make a finish? I wanted the pearlex in there - the sparkles :wink:

So casted it, turned it, sanded it, and voila - hot pink sierra.

Sierra-1.jpg

Sierra-2.jpg

Sierra-3.jpg

Sierra-4.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

shippy

I did a pink one to give to a lady and after turning and sanding some maple for a graduate blank, I dyed it with a pink highliter pen, then put 12 or 15 coats of ca on it. Certainly not as classy as yours, but she was extremely pleased with the results. I too had a devil of a time trying to get an appropiate pink for her taste.

Dustygoose

Nice pen. PSI sells solid "PINK" blanks in packs of 4 for 7.50

But to tell your customer you designed and casted the blank just for them is priceless. I almost had the same problem but, Thankfully, my costomer likwd the first attempt.

beachlover

Nice job on both pens.
I assume you do know that you can use Pearlex etc mixed in to the polymer clay to get that glitter effect. I used that for a wedding pen (Majestic) when the theme was purple and diamonds. The bride loved it!

OOPS

I never would have thought of casting the polymer clay tube in clear. But I agree that the sparkle effect adds depth to the blank. I too have heard that Pearlex can be mixed directly into the clay, but I am not sure you would be able to get the depth by doing that. Both pens are beautiful and I am sure she was pleased to get it. I have often stared at the hot pink polymer clay (also the neon green) and wondered what kind of pens they would make. Thanks for posting these. If I get up the nerve to make a neon green, I'll post it.

toyotaman

Nice pen. PSI sells solid "PINK" blanks in packs of 4 for 7.50

But to tell your customer you designed and casted the blank just for them is priceless. I almost had the same problem but, Thankfully, my costomer likwd the first attempt.

Yep. I had to buy a pack of them a while back. They offer other colors in a 4 pack for 7.50 too. They are solid colors with no swirl,glitter,lines or nothing.

RSidetrack

Thanks everyone.

Yes - I did know of the blanks, but as mentioned - they are solid with no pearl effect. While the request was just left at "pink", so it could have worked, I just like to have some "sparkle" to it.

I didn't know you could mix the pearl with the PC - though I agree that it may not have given the depth I wanted; however, it gives me something to play with.

Thanks again everyone!

Top Bottom