She-oak burl bark

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dario

Dario

It's been a while since I posted any pen and decided this one deserves it. If not just to encourage others to try the method.

It is a cut-off from a she-oak burl I picked up on a street side of San Jose Mission church. I can't throw the bark area and decided to stabilize and fill it using black CA and thin CA. A lot of work but I believe it is worth it.

Comments, good or bad, is welcome.

The pics are done hush-hush (just camera flash). I also posted more photo than usual to show the 360 degree view.

From raw bark to partially filled blank with black CA.

To this...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OKLAHOMAN

Dario,you've done a magnificant job so I've decided that the box of worthless blanks that I cast for you thats sitting on my desk ready to be shipped to you I'm keeping cause you did a great job of saving that street find wood:D[}:)];)...........Darn just looked on my desk and it seems Diane mailed your package today:).

karlkuehn

Banned
Wow, Dario! That is a lot of work with CA, but it turned out beautifully! Did you tint the CA at all? You gotta love this stuff. Making pens out of stuff that ain't even worth burning, right? hehe

johncrane

Dario now that is a great looking pen you haven't lost your touch! also its a great use of material that would normally end up in the fire, well done its great too see your posting now we need too see a pen from JimGo.[:p]:D

MikeInMo

Originally posted by Dario

Originally posted by karlkuehn

Did you tint the CA at all?

I just used BLACK CA and thin CA. Monty sells both ;). http://woodenwonderstx.com/WWBlue/NewGlueWS.html

I think a 2oz bottle stabilized/filled about 4 blanks.

Those are very nice looking pens.

I have wood that may benefit from similar treatment so I have a couple of questions. I just looked at Monty's site. Is the rubberized CA the black CA you used? I didn't see anything else with color. If it is the rubberized, how is it work with, both the application and turning?

Dario

Mike,

Yes, it is the rubberized CA. It flows easily (I would compare it to medium CA but fills better). In my experience it takes much longer to set than regular CA even with accelerator. Wear gloves, they do flow to the sides. ;)

The one I turned have lots of other voids I discovered while turning and had to re-fill. Drill a smaller hole and treat it with thin CA before drilling the right size. Fill any voids with black CA, let cure, then re-drill.

Note: If you sprayed the hole w/ accelerator...do not use thick CA to glue your tube. Try the black CA. [^]

It turns and finish really well. Cannot be 100% certain yet but black CA didn't haze/crackle even if I spritz it with accelerator.

Good luck!!!

Top Bottom