Sharpie refill,and some firsts!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Papa Bear

Papa Bear

This is the first pen I have made on my metal lathe that with some help from Skippy,I got dialed in!It is the first closed end pen I have made,even made a mandrel for turning the closed end.It's also the first hidden clip and one of the first blanks I cast myself.Any comments,good or bad are always welcome.I know I should have thought out the hidden clip end a little more so the blank matched up better,but it was kinda figure out as I went deal!Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• pens 031.jpg
    pens 031.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 214
  • pens 033.jpg
    pens 033.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 241
  • pens 034.jpg
    pens 034.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 212
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
It looks great. I have been thinking about asking JohnnyCNC about a threaded mandrel for the pen. Looks like you have it down. Have you posted your ad for the mandrel and started a waiting list yet? :wink:

Papa Bear

I didn't "plan" on making this one!I took a piece of 5/8 aluminum rod,turned one end to around 3/8,then stepped up to just under 1/2 so I could get the 1/2-27 die to start then turned the rest to 7/16 dia.,I drilled a 7/16 hole on the blank and threaded it with the 1/2-27 tap and the sharpie refill screws right in nice and tight!
Thanks for the comments!

I didn't "plan" on making this one!I took a piece of 5/8 aluminum rod,turned one end to around 3/8,then stepped up to just under 1/2 so I could get the 1/2-27 die to start then turned the rest to 7/16 dia.,I drilled a 7/16 hole on the blank and threaded it with the 1/2-27 tap and the sharpie refill screws right in nice and tight!
Thanks for the comments!

1/2-27? I thought they were .450x26.

Papa Bear

I drilled the 7/16 hole,which is a little small for a 1/2 tap,that causes the blank to expand a little,not enough to crack,but enough to shrink a little when the tap is backed out.Being plastic,26 or 27 tpi isn't much different,at least thats what worked for me.I did try several different combonations before I got one that worked good.

RAdams

Banned
Looks like a snazzy blank no doubt!! You did it justice for sure!! I gotta do one of these sharpies one of these years...

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Hey Gary!!! You are supposed to start at the bottom of the ladder, not halfway up!!!. :biggrin: No-one would believe that is your first from the ML.
Cool blank too:cool:

Top Bottom