Sharpie refill in lacy redwood burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from duncsuss

duncsuss

I finally completed the Sharpie refillable pen I've been struggling with. Lacy redwood burl, lined with black ebonite for strength and to take screw threads.

It would have been a lot simpler if I didn't put a clip on it -- that required me to make a double-ended threaded connector (one end to screw into the cap, one to function as a pillar for the clip ring and post to screw the finial on.)

My first connector was acrylic acetate -- it snapped when I tightened it into the cap. Had to buy some brass rod ... this one isn't going to snap!

Finished with oil and CA, micromesh then Plast-x. Sorry about the quality of the snaps of the connector, my phone seems to be getting worse.

the brass connector:
IMAG0512.jpg

the pen:
IMGP6739.jpg

IMGP6741.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lorbay

Very nice. I was planning one of these for this weekend. One question I have is how are you making it a snap fit cap.?

Lin.

duncsuss

Very nice. I was planning one of these for this weekend. One question I have is how are you making it a snap fit cap.?

Lin.

Thanks Lin.

I adapted what Rick Herrell posted in THIS THREAD ... in my case, the underside of the brass connector was drilled out to receive the snap-cap that comes fitted to a refill, and drilled again with #38 to receive the #4 pan-head metal screw that went up the inside of the snap-cap to hold it in place.

The length of the barrel (plus or minus the coupling thickness) has to be trimmed to make it so the cap snaps into place properly, without leaving an ugly gap (some gap is unavoidable, I think.)

Top Bottom