Sharpie

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from biednick

biednick

I saw the sharpie refills at staples and bought a few. This is my first attempt, done with a cherry dowel. Clip is made by me out of spring steel. I'll make a tutorial, but basically I mounted the blank in a collet chuck drilled to a set depth and turned without removing it from the chuck. I went too close to the hole on the cap, so its filled with a walnut dowel. Comments, questions and criticisms welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_0459 (640x480).jpg
    IMG_0459 (640x480).jpg
    143 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_0460 (640x480).jpg
    IMG_0460 (640x480).jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_0461 (640x480).jpg
    IMG_0461 (640x480).jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 174
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

seamus7227

Im not one to comment on this subject since it is my downfall as well, but I personally dont like the clip. It appears as though you did a fantastic job on the rest of the pen but the clip leaves something to be desired. With that being said, I realize you have to learn somehow, but for this particular pen, you could have left if off and it still would have been great! It is also only my opinion that if you are going to attempt your own clip, appearance wise, it would look so much better if you had it going into two openings instead of looking crammed into one. Again, this is only my opinion and less than .02 worth(since the stock market crashed). Dont let this prevent you continuing your attempt at clips.

IPD_Mrs

Im not one to comment on this subject since it is my downfall as well, but I personally dont like the clip. It appears as though you did a fantastic job on the rest of the pen but the clip leaves something to be desired. With that being said, I realize you have to learn somehow, but for this particular pen, you could have left if off and it still would have been great! It is also only my opinion that if you are going to attempt your own clip, appearance wise, it would look so much better if you had it going into two openings instead of looking crammed into one. Again, this is only my opinion and less than .02 worth(since the stock market crashed). Dont let this prevent you continuing your attempt at clips.

Actually, I have to agree here. I also can't make a clip at this point, however I know that they can be had - or you can salvage parts from something that blew up .. etc. IF you need to have a clip at all. I don't mind a pen without a clip and at times prefer them. Many times it lends to the elegance of a pen. This being a more functional item that might not have really been an option for you - I don't know. However, the one thing I do know is that I NEVER use the clip on any of my sharpies. They are drawer pens that get used on an as needed basis and not something I carry.

I think you did a great job on the pen body and cap and I do like the idea of being able to "dress up" sharpies so they aren't so "boring" and they fit into the work shop a little better :wink:

My 1/2 cent worth ... I think the market is worse than ever.

Linda

el_d

What tap did you use for the threads????

I know they are a freaky size so I traded for a custom size tap. I kmow there a standard tap that is " well enough" but dont remember what it is?????

I didnt put a clip on mine......:redface:

biednick

Thank you for the input, and although I agree the clip could be better, and I could have left it off or salvaged one from another pen, I wanted to give it a try. This is my first attempt at making a clip. The next one I do probably wont have a clip, or will have a salvaged one. As for the tap, I used a 1/2-20 tap, but don't use the recommended drill for that size. I'm not sure what size you need yet, but the 29/64 or whatever the recommended size was too big and the refill won't thread in.

Top Bottom