Sharing for the first time.....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from CharlieC

CharlieC

Howdy folks.
Thanks all for the welcome comments in the introduction post. Glad to be aboard.
I have been learning heaps and doing lots of practice on slim/streamline pens using predrilled blanks, but just recently purchased a scroll and drill chuck.
So I have just this week cut, drilled and squared blanks from scratch, and produced my first RB pens.
Thought I'd share some of my latest pens with you.
Guess I'd better start with typical Aussie timbers with a Brown Mallee Burl JR Gent, and a Red Mallee Burl Cigar.
Next is an AZ Desert Ironwood JR Gent.
And finally a stabalised Yellow Gum JR Gent. This blank came from George (robutacion) who only lives about 40 min drive away, so it's very handy for me to get some of his great blanks. The pics don't really do this blank justice.
I finished all these pens with CA, micromesh, and polish.
So, thanks for looking. Comments, advice etc.. more than welcome.
CC

Attachments

• BrownMalleeJRGent1.JPG
    BrownMalleeJRGent1.JPG
    22.3 KB · Views: 139
  • BrownMalleeJRGent2.JPG
    BrownMalleeJRGent2.JPG
    18.7 KB · Views: 108
  • BrownMalleeJRGent3.JPG
    BrownMalleeJRGent3.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 109
  • RedMalleeCigar1.JPG
    RedMalleeCigar1.JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 117
  • RedMalleeCigar2.JPG
    RedMalleeCigar2.JPG
    24 KB · Views: 96
  • AZIronwoodJRGent1.JPG
    AZIronwoodJRGent1.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 99
  • AZIronwoodJRGent2.JPG
    AZIronwoodJRGent2.JPG
    25.9 KB · Views: 112
  • AZIronwoodJRGent3.JPG
    AZIronwoodJRGent3.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 106
  • YellowGumJRGent1.JPG
    YellowGumJRGent1.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 116
  • YellowGumJRGent2.JPG
    YellowGumJRGent2.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 125
  • YellowGumJRGent3.JPG
    YellowGumJRGent3.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 124
  • YellowGumJRGent4.JPG
    YellowGumJRGent4.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 168
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

firewhatfire

advice is send that yellow gum to me for safe keeping. I have never seen any of it and I like it. Your finish is looking good. I wish I could tell how to improve but but all I can tell is keep on turning.

Phil

ZanderPommo

Outstanding pens and a perfect finish! If I were to nit pick anything it would be that you should watch your bushings. Your fit looks both overturned, underturned, and out of round in some places, but VERY slightly so on all counts. Please dont take this as anything but friendly criticism, and remember, I was TRYING to find something to nit pick :biggrin:
Great pens, and you absolutely have your finish and photography down in my opinion.

You're a lucky fella to live that close to George you know. Not only do you live close to a place where you can handpick all your blanks, but you live close to a wealth of knowledge as well.

ossaguy

Those are very nicely done,love your shiny finish!

I'd like to know your photo tips.Whenever I put a white background behind my pens,the paper comes out as a pinkish color,and the pen itself gets all darkened.

Your photos look very professionally done.

Steve

steeler fan1

Charlie,

I would agree with Zander. Turning is just a little off, nothing real serious. But I think you really nailed the finish, excellent.

Carl

CharlieC

Thanks folks for the comments and advice, much appreciated.

advice is send that yellow gum to me for safe keeping. I have never seen any of it and I like it. Your finish is looking good. I wish I could tell how to improve but but all I can tell is keep on turning.
Phil
Thanks Phil, I think you might have to fight my dad for it, he's taken a liking to it also.
Outstanding pens and a perfect finish! If I were to nit pick anything it would be that you should watch your bushings. Your fit looks both overturned, underturned, and out of round in some places, but VERY slightly so on all counts. Please dont take this as anything but friendly criticism, and remember, I was TRYING to find something to nit pick :biggrin:
Great pens, and you absolutely have your finish and photography down in my opinion.

You're a lucky fella to live that close to George you know. Not only do you live close to a place where you can handpick all your blanks, but you live close to a wealth of knowledge as well.
I appreciate your observations Zander, thanks. I agree there is still room for improvement. I have learnt now to double check every kit before I turn, and not rely on the bushings.
Yep, it is handy living near George. Hopefully get to pop in again next week and see what I can pick up, and get some advice.
Those are very nicely done,love your shiny finish!

I'd like to know your photo tips.Whenever I put a white background behind my pens,the paper comes out as a pinkish color,and the pen itself gets all darkened.
Your photos look very professionally done.
Steve

Steve, thanks for the comments, all I use is a 7.1Meg Sanyo point and click, with macro set. The background is a light grey color piece of craft paper. I set up near a large window, that is opposite side of the house from the sun, no artificial light involved. In these photos the window is to the right of the pen, there is also a large bay window benind to the left that seems to add some fill light. I position the camera so there is not too much reflection off the pen, almost from directly above. That's pretty much it, the pic is then reduced and cropped on the PC.

Top Bottom