Shape it

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from vakmere

vakmere

I'm the new guy here. Nice to meet you eventually. I'm in from the Talk Bass Forum and this is a new venture for me. Got into pen turning around 2 months ago. Been in the garage freezing while learning on my own and watching a couple YouTube vids. This winter is brutal. I started out doing thin ones and then got bored. I got the typical starter kit with lathe, a few tools, a bunch of different blanks, and lots of slimline and comfort kits, then got artsy. All the end cuts I saved then glued up went into making either an acrylic or wood 'quilt looking' kind of pen. Here are some of the things I wound up with. Most recent are not in the pictures, these are about 3 weeks old. Some get sold, given away as gifts, but most I keep. As you can tell by looking at the nib area I went to Catholic shcool hence the Palmer Method shape.
I never know what shape I'll do next. Depends on my imagination and how much coffee I just had. Let me know what you think (dangerous idea) so I can learn a little more as I go along.
As for a hoby this is definately cheaper than buying bass guitars alll the time. :biggrin:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

toddlajoie

Welcome aboard!!1 I used to be pretty active on TalkBass too!!! Don't play much anymore, and yea, that place just made me REALLY want to go have someone design and build me a beauty custom bass that I really don't need!!! That is a great forum for Bass players, and the tone is very similar to what you will find here. I'm still friends with a bunch of people I met online there, and I definitely got turned on to a lot of different fantastic music!!!

Looks like you've dove headlong into pen turning, your style is certainly unique on some of those pens, but they all look fantastic!!!

eranox

I'm getting pen envy! Apparently, I really need to step things up a notch!

I'd like to see some of your creative shapes with a wider center band. The trimline and most of the slims look great, but some seem to be a bit pinched around the centerline. Have you thought about modifying a few of your slimline kits to be "fatline" pens? There's an article in the library, but you basically toss the kit center band in favor of a wider one you make from a custom material. I think your style would look great with a heavier profile.

At any rate, these look fantastic! Have you done any turnings before?

robutacion

Welcome mate, from the land of the Kangaroos.

When I saw that first pics, I though, "yep, a beginner's magic shapes, that we all call them, {the fat lady}", no offence...!

I then saw the pics with that bunch of pics and then I though, " na...!, this fellow in no novice, he has beautifully shaped and finished pen in that lot...!"

So, continuing on my loudly thinking, I reckon, if you are as good playing bass as you are doing pens, you ain't that bad at all...! congrats.

Cheers
George

OZturner

Welcome Vakmere, from Sydney Australia.
You have been a Busy Fellow since you started.

You have quite a range of Pens, of numerous "Styles".
Some are terrific, others I feel have been created as a Turning Exercise, more than a Pen Making Exercise.
Some of your pens look like "very ornate spindles".
I don't know how these would feel for Comfort, Balance, Grip and Function as a Pen.

From what you have done there is no question that Undoubtably you can turn.
Many of your Pens look Great.
With Good Lines, Profiles, Proportions, Fit and Finish .
I look forward to seeing your next posting.
Congratulations.
Brian.

vakmere

Thank you all for the input on my output. You can tell the evolving of my turnings from real thin (when I first got into it) to spindle like shapes a few weeks later. I would like to use a wider center band but have trouble finding where to buy them in bulk and a variety of the wider bands also. Right now just working with what I have. Tried making wood center bands on my own but they keep breaking. As I get used to all the offerings of this forum and see all the cool pens you all have been doing I would say the inspiration is vast.
As for my bass playing, my basses are all wood. No red, blue, white, purple. Look at Ken Smith, Wyn, MTD usa, and you'll see what I mean.

Jim Burr

Banned
Welcome sir!! My only suggestion would be to maintain the style of the pen...keep slims slim, if you want a fatter pen, adapt the slim without the center band, really easy, or pick a style of pen that is more suited to the style you like.
Aside from that...good forms, finish looks great.

Nice job Vakmere, You could fashion your own center bands from wood. This would allow you to really have freedom in design. It looks like you really enjoy making the beads and coves. You could also try some larger turnings like Salt and Pepper mills or turkey calls. This would allow you to explore even further. There are so many things that you can make using your style of turning. Great job on these pens and keep up the great work. Maybe you would like the cigar style pens? Anyway keep them coming..

vakmere

Welcome sir!! My only suggestion would be to maintain the style of the pen...keep slims slim, if you want a fatter pen, adapt the slim without the center band, really easy, or pick a style of pen that is more suited to the style you like.
Aside from that...good forms, finish looks great.

I thought of that. Wont that make the overall lengh a little shorter without a center band? Then again if done carefully the grains should line up nicely. I did a Wall St 2 but didnt like the hardware or the fact there was no challange in turning. Just a blank with a finish didnt do it for me. Kind of like putting a model plane together.
I have a bit of walnut that I've been experimenting with and did a couple with a cross cut grain. Now those looked sharp. The way they sand down they get kind of a translucence around the side (looks like the bottom of a Rapalla fishing lure).
Here's one from last night, not put together, just laid out on the lathe after finishing. 1st coat was a little BLO followed by 20 coats of CA, wet sanded with MM, then polished. camera phones dont do it justice. I have 4 others with cross cut, each has a personality. The Oak cross cut looked like aligator skin. I'll post a pic of that one later.
I did enjoy looking at all the pens you all have done and that were posted, really like the burl on some. The one with all the watch parts was especially interesting. I wonder how much 'TIME' that one took to do.... bad pun.....

twinsen

So True!

When I saw that first pics, I though, "yep, a beginner's magic shapes, that we all call them, {the fat lady}", no offence...!

HA! Beginner "Magic Shapes"... so true. I think a lot of people go through it. That being said, if the pen is strait/flat/cylinder "standard" profile, it had better be a very nice glue up and/or match with the kit.

I like none standard profiles if they are done right. I think too many people use standard profiles. If the profile is not strait/flat/cylinder it had better be well thought out, balanced with the kit and material. Also think long and hard about how and who is going to use the pen. Hand size, stored in desk, shirt, pocket etc. Also think about what part they are going to hold onto and where it will rest on the hand webbing (between thumb and forefinger).

Try an exercise like in my picture. (whipped up for example, sorry for photo quality) Use some lined paper and segmented for the size of tube you are using. The like becomes the bushing thickness mark. Identify grip and cap ends and where the clip will hit. You should also know the distance between your bushing and the underside of the clip. My opinion is that nothing should be thicker than the underside of the clip in most cases. Then start drawing. Use something to keep track of the ones you like.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 92

ossaguy

Just a thought,but you can buy the fatter centerbands from Woodturningz.

I bought a package on both gold and chrome,I think it's 5 per bag.

It makes it look more like a Trimline-style pen.

Steve

vakmere

Just a thought,but you can buy the fatter centerbands from Woodturningz.

I bought a package on both gold and chrome,I think it's 5 per bag.

It makes it look more like a Trimline-style pen.

Steve

Yes but they are too shinney. I dont have many if any gold or chrome kits. All mine are satin finishes. Thanks for the lead. I do like their other offerings though.

Top Bottom