The Shamrock Baron

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JohnU

JohnU

I havent made much time for turning pens lately with family and work, (not to mention making feather blanks) lol so my last days off I decided to make a new pen for my wife.

I chose a Shamrock for her Irish heritage and a chrome baron kit since she favored the last one I made over the other pen kits. I started with some Cirrus White Corian and scroll sawed the Shamrock out of one 1/2" piece. I glued it to a full piece with some CA, but later found out epoxy might have been a better choice since it cracked in tube gluing and had to be fixed. I mixed the silmar 41 and poured the green fill for the shamrock, along with some extra for the stripes I later cut and glued in using my tablesaw sled. I made sure to paint the inside of the hole green where the pr was so the brass didnt show after turning. A CA finish polished with micromesh and hut plastic polish gave it a nice shine.

After three days I learned that I probably wont use Corian over PR next time. I dont think the bond between the two materials is as secure not to mention my seam in the upper part is visible because the pattern in the material is more like a grain and is harder to line up. Not to mention PR scrolls and sands easier (IMO) showing less saw marks. Even though I find many flaws with it, and will do a few things differntly next time, she loves it. (my biggest fan and easiest critic) lol

All comments welcome. Thanks

Attachments

• Shamrock Baron_800x451.JPG
    Shamrock Baron_800x451.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 414
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bgibb42

Looks really good to me!

I have had a lot of trouble with the seam showing after gluing Corian pieces together and then turning. Perhaps a tinted epoxy would help to solve that problem?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
:eek::eek:Geeezzze, John, :eek::eek:

THAT looks GREAT!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

We could sell a bunch of those blanks!! How many in your first shipment???:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
That's pretty cool John, I like the colour combo too:good::good:

BTW, That new feather one isn't too shabby either:wink::biggrin:

JohnU

:eek::eek:Geeezzze, John, :eek::eek:

THAT looks GREAT!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

We could sell a bunch of those blanks!! How many in your first shipment???:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Oh Crap! lol

I forgot how much I miss scrolling.... just not enough time in the day.
Thanks for all the comments.

Top Bottom