Shades of night Lucite & Aluminum

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dalecamino

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
No! These are NOT black & white photos. :biggrin: Made this one this week. Using the triple start tap & die for the cap. And, my new 8x.75 tap & die for the nib. As was suggested to me, the finer threads made quite a difference in function and, appearance. I did get the nubs on the ends sanded off but, the finial is not quite flush with the cap. I'll look at that closer on the next one. Thanks for looking and, comments welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_0904.JPG
    IMG_0904.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_0905.JPG
    IMG_0905.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG_0906.JPG
    IMG_0906.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 406
  • IMG_0907.JPG
    IMG_0907.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 362
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
CHuck you have become a pen making monster ;-] The grooves are a nice design touch on the parts.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks friends! Yes, I think the most fun is cranking both of those wheels at the same time to make the nib. :bulgy-eyes:

Mapster

Great looking pen, the black and aluminum are perfect together, and like Mike said, the grooves make all the difference!

IPD_Mr

Chuck - It is nice to see that you are putting your new lathe to good work and making more than metal shavings. :)

The nose cone on this one looks pretty darn good. Well done my friend.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Great looking pen, the black and aluminum are perfect together, and like Mike said, the grooves make all the difference!
Thanks Marshall! That's exactly what I was thinking when I ordered these blanks from IPD :wink:

Chuck - It is nice to see that you are putting your new lathe to good work and making more than metal shavings. :)

The nose cone on this one looks pretty darn good. Well done my friend.
Thank you Mike. I knew I could do it again :biggrin:

bluwolf

Very nice job Chuck! You beat me to the aluminum cap/acrylic barrel combo. I like it! Excellent job notching for the clip too. I really had to go looking for it.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Great looking pen like the metal woork
Thanks Leslie. It really is different on the metal lathe.

Very nice job Chuck! You beat me to the aluminum cap/acrylic barrel combo. I like it! Excellent job notching for the clip too. I really had to go looking for it.
Thanks Mike! I may have beat you to it but, I'm anxiously waiting to see what YOU come up with.

spilperson

I can only hope to get there one day...really nice work.

You mentioned having to turn both wheels at the same time...I am not sure if you were serious, so forgive me if I am being stupid...has anyone tried a ball-turning attachment on a lathe to make nibs? It can definitely make curves like that. You can make one yourself or buy one...I think Little Machine Shop carries them.

http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=2569&category=

(is that against the rules?)

Last edited:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks Frank. You just have to take the leap. I was fortunate to have a skilled turner close by (pretty close) Thank you for the link and, no, it's not against the rules, as far as I know. I'm still saving up for the 4 jaw chuck. When I mentioned turning both wheels, I was going for a straighter cone shape. It's tricky and, as you can see, it's not very straight.

I appreciate your comments.

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
You better start selling some pens Chuck. That way you can tell Suzanne you need the Chuck to complete an order:biggrin:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
You better start selling some pens Chuck. That way you can tell Suzanne you need the Chuck to complete an order:biggrin:
Great idea Ernie. HOWEVER.....I've discovered it's better not to tell her anything:redface: I got my compressor without telling her:wink: Can I sell you a pen :confused::biggrin:

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Now that's funny. Gwen asked me the other day what all this stuff is being delivered by UPS and the Post Office. I told her my Pen Studio has a don't ask, don't tell policy.:wink: And you know I'd buy any of your pens. They are all spectacular.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Now that's funny. Gwen asked me the other day what all this stuff is being delivered by UPS and the Post Office. I told her my Pen Studio has a don't ask, don't tell policy.:wink: And you know I'd buy any of your pens. They are all spectacular.
Exactly! I think that might be a good policy to maintain. So, which pen would you like?:biggrin: Thanks Ernie:wink:

When I mentioned turning both wheels, I was going for a straighter cone shape. It's tricky and, as you can see, it's not very straight.

honestly, I think a gentle curve looks better than a perfect cone would.

F
Thanks F. It worked out OK. But, still FUN.:biggrin:

Chuck,
Wow. I like that one. Nice job on the nib, classy look.
Thanks Cris. I needed a little class :biggrin:

Top Bottom