Sewing Pen - My 2nd Place Casting On Tube Entry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from THarvey

THarvey

I have to give credit where due. This pen has its beginning back in March 2012, Atlanta Woodworking Show.

I met Barry Gross and his beautiful bride at the show. Looking at some of the things Barry had cast in pens got be to thinking about items that would be small and thin enough to make a nice pen. Barry and I have exchanged a couple emails since then. He has been gracious to answer my questions about things, such as paint type, and given hints how to keep gas bubbles from causing problems with the final pen. Thank you Barry!!!

The ultimate inspiration for this pen was my Mother. Her hobby is sewing. In my younger days, she sewed shirts and even suits for me. Being a hard size to fit off the rack at the time, she managed to keep me looking professional in tailored suits early in my career when I could least afford to purchase suits. The pen style was selected, because it is one of her favorite pens to write with.

This pen is now in my Mom's personal collection.

I am super excited with the response to this pen in the contest. This was my first ever attempt to cast anything in resin for a pen. The casting includes a needle threader, two sewing needles (each threaded), red and green thread, and a section of tape measure. Tubes were painted with acrylic hobby paint.

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• Elegant Beauty - Sewing Cast - 1.jpg
    Elegant Beauty - Sewing Cast - 1.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 308
  • Elegant Beauty - Sewing Cast - 2.jpg
    Elegant Beauty - Sewing Cast - 2.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 273
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnU

Tim congrats on a well executed plan and a great looking pen! When I first opened the post and quickly scrolled over the pictures, this one made me stop, back up and stare. The fact that it comes from such a meaningful history and is now your moms pen definitely puts a cherry on top! I'm very impressed that this is your first cast and hope we will continue to see more of your stunning creations. Well done and again... Congrats!

JLewis

THarvey, didn't realize you were so local. I loved your pen as did my knitter/sewing better half. If you make it to the Central AL IAP event next Saturday and your Mom lends it back to you I would love to see it.

Top Bottom