Several firsts this weekend!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from micah

Status
Not open for further replies.

micah

Well, had a little turning time this weekend and needed to catch up on a few requests.
Comments and suggestions always welcome.
First off is my first closed end Baron. Platinum hardware. The wood had a sticker on it that said "Gmelia Arborea Burl". If anyone has a more common name for it, I sure would appreciate it.
dsc009925ee.jpg

dsc009940do.jpg

Next off is my second closed end Baron for a customer, done in Chrome hardware and Striped Ebony.

dsc009866iz.jpg

Third is my first Emporer! And fourth is my first Statesman!:) These are both done in BOW for an individual here in town. The Statesman is for him...the Emporer is for his 90yr. old mother![:0] I had suggested something smaller for her, but he insisted that she likes the bigger pens. And being fountain pens was a MUST! In fact, he said that he could not recall her writting with anything other than a fountain. Next, they are off to the engraver.
Emporer
dsc009886xq.jpg

dsc009895mp.jpg

Statesman
dsc009902vi.jpg

dsc009914jf.jpg

Sorry this was so long, but I didn't want to make a whole slew of differant posts.;)

Micah

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

Very nice work. The shape on the first one looks a bit odd to me with the end being quite a bit larger in diameter than the rest of the pen. Just my opinion though. I like the shape of the second one, very nice. The Emperor and Jr. Statesman both look just great, that might just be the nicest BOW I've ever seen.

micah

I almost forgot![:0]
Also treated myself to a Jr Statesman. Done in Desert Ironwood.
gerryr, actually I'm just opposite on my opinion of the 2 Barons. The first one actually lays perfect in my hand and is very comfortable. The second is a little too fat for my liking, but the guy that I made it for was standing there while I turned it and was giving me instructions as to how he wanted it to look and feel. He said that it was perfect when we was done, but just wasn't my taste. Everybody has there own taste though. Doesn't mean one is better than another...just differant.
Hastur,
The finish on all of them is CA, with the exception of the BOW pens. After doing a little research and study it sounded to me as though the best finish for BOW is no finish at all. I did fill in the grain at 400grit with CA, but after that it was just DNA and micro mesh through 12000.
Micah

dsc009972aq.jpg

Don't pay attention to the white specks in this picture. Had to be just some reflections because they are not on the pen.
dsc009985lh.jpg

BigRob777

Micah,
All I could find was that Gmelia Arborea Burl is Asian. If you give it as a gift, then someone else will have the gift of GAB.[xx(] I know that was poor.
Nice pens though. I guess I'm going to have to cut up my dessert ironwood now.
Rob

Rifleman1776

Didn't you just start pens a couple months ago? Absolute knock-outs. The first one kinda grabs me, dunno why but it does look comfortable for the hand and I had to look twice to see it was a Baron. All are oustanding. Ye dun Arkansas proud. [:)]

micah

Didn't you just start pens a couple months ago?
Hi Frank! Yep, actually almost 3 though. Started out just wanting to make a few for some relatives for <b>Christ</b>mas, but has now turned into something else.[8D]

Micah

punkinn

I'm certainly no expert at all, but your first pen, the Gmelia Arborea Burl, looks a lot like Thuya burl to me.

All of them are first rate, finish, fit and style. You did a fabulous job! Three months experience??? [:0] Sheesh! I'm impressed and incredibly humbled. Excellent work, Micah.

Nancy

terrymiller

I like the Baron with striped ebony. I made my first this weekend myself only mine was not the closed end design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom