First:
--Photo Upload,
--Photo Resizing
--Modified Slimiline
--Homemade Boring Tool
--CA/BLO Finish
--Time using calipers instead of bushings
--Time trying to dye wood, used Sharpie

Kit is Rhodium Slimline from CSUSA. Wood is ???? ("Bag-o-blanks" from woodcraft).

2006121545757_ModSlimline.jpg

Here is the pen

2006121545828_ModSLCB.jpg

Here is the centerband. It was dyed with a sharpie. I will try to "set the sharpie with BLO next time (hint from eagle)." Under the centerband there is a shoulder in the lower half of the pen and a fitting socket in the top half. And below is the tool I used to hollow out the socket.

2006121545859_CropSocketBoringTol.jpg

What I learned:

Measuring is easy and you dont have to rely on the bushings to be the same size as the hardware.

Sharpie ink is not as dark on wood as it is on a piece of paper.

Even a slimeline is only limited by the imagination.

Original Cross refills are worth the extra instead of the refills that come with the kit.

Have a great day.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BigRob777

Darin,
Your first homemade CB is way better than mine was. I just love the thicker pen, that they can allow us to make. I never use the CB that comes with the kit, unless I mess something up. I glue the CB onto the end of the top (clip end) barrel, prior to turning. I've tried glueing them on, before I drill and tube it and that works better, in my opinion, than what I used to do, which was drill first. I've tried glueing on after I drill and "entubate" it, but that doesn't always work for me.

I use a dye, that I got from CSUSA, that works wonders and isn't that expensive. I wasted a lot of it, trying to dye the whole blanks, so I just paint it on and sand lightly with 1,200 grit sandpaper, then to 12,000 MM. My first 5 pens (or so) were done without correct bushings.
Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom