Seven Simple Sierra's

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from SteveJ

SteveJ

Okay they are not all sierra's. But three sierra's, three Le Roi's and an Elegant Le Roi doesn't sound so stunningly sensational as seven simple Sierra's.

TLDNR Summary at the end. :)

First is TN Gold/Black Chrome Le Roi out of Olive Wood
Second is Satin Silver Sierra out of Bocote
Third is Satin Gold Sierra out of Honduran Rosewood
Fourth is Le Roi TN Gold/Black Chrome out of inlace acrylester
Fifth is a Chrome Elegant Le Roi out of Buckeye Burl sent to me by Jim Burr
Sixth is a Chrome Sierra out of Inlace Acrylester
Seventh is a TN Gold/Bl Chrome Le Roi out of Inlace/Honduran Rosewood comb.

I pictured them in the order I made them. Your comments are welcome. The olivewood was a joy to turn, but the finish came out more satiny (?) than I wanted. I also switched tubes, so the insert has to be trimmed or it sticks out too far. The Rosewood is pretty nice, but the transmission is rough :confused:

I really liked the red inlace, but it had the same problem as the olivewood - switched blanks. Plus, I tried to disassemble it and just managed to bind the thread on the end so that the only way to replace the refill is through the top.

The buckeye burl was in my mind a success! Thanks to Jim Burl for providing the blank. The fit and finish both look and feel nice.

The swirl inlace turned out great - except that the nib has a chip out of it. I will ask my supplier if I can get a replacement.

And finally the inlace/rosewood was my attempt at salvaging a blown inlace blank. I actually blew out three different inlace blanks before I got one to work. I turned the writing end down a little too far, but it is salvaged by the kit form. To me it looks like something my grandfather might have written with.

TLDNR Summary: I turned some pens. I like some and don't like others.

STeve

Attachments

• Olivewood2.png
    Olivewood2.png
    589.2 KB · Views: 170
  • Bocote2.png
    Bocote2.png
    606.7 KB · Views: 168
  • rosewood2.png
    rosewood2.png
    573.2 KB · Views: 136
  • Redinlace2.png
    Redinlace2.png
    603 KB · Views: 160
  • Buckeyeburl2.png
    Buckeyeburl2.png
    575.5 KB · Views: 161
  • inlaceswirl.png
    inlaceswirl.png
    589 KB · Views: 173
  • Inlaceswirl2.png
    Inlaceswirl2.png
    618.5 KB · Views: 162
  • Rosewoodinlace1.png
    Rosewoodinlace1.png
    592.5 KB · Views: 167

John Den

SMJ1957;143784 .................................... TLDNR Summary: I turned some pens. I like some and don't like others. STeve[/quote said:
I feel I must disagree with you!!
For different reasons I like the lot!!
Regards,
John

schreiber

Okay they are not all sierra's. But three sierra's, three Le Roi's and an Elegant Le Roi doesn't sound so stunningly sensational as seven simple Sierra's.

No, the alliteration is more important than technical correctness in this case IMHO; kinda reaches out & grabs ya. :biggrin:

I like 'em all. You did great work to be proud of. And congrats on selling them! (your other thread)

TLDNR = TL;DR?

Top Bottom