Seoul

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from workinforwood

workinforwood

Test pen....Rice-a-Roni black ti euro pressure cooked for 30 minutes in CC Alumilite. I really think it's a rice pen with all the different types of rice and pasta strips in it. Reminds me of a crushed velvet blank. Unlike typical pasta pens, the rice stuck really well and turned way better than I expected. Not a single piece blew out while turning or drilling. I think that the rice might even be suitable for threading. It does however require an entire box of rice-a-roni just to make 3 pen blanks. I thought we had tons of this stuff, but we only have 2 boxes in the house. Apparently it never goes on sale to the point that it is free with coupons.....but my wife thinks it's one of the best looking pens ever and is going to be keeping an eye on the Rice-a-Roni deals from now on!

Ya'll can go carry on with your puns now.:biggrin:

Attachments

• riceroni.jpg
    riceroni.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 469
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnU

Nice work Jeff! I made some rice pens last year but mine had so much rice you couldnt see the background. I like yours much better.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Looks really snazzy Jeff. In fact it looks a lot like the Italian resins that are so prized. Goes very well with the black Ti too.

I'm afraid that I'm gonna have to show my ignorance and ask what the Seoul reference is though. :confused:

mrcook4570

Ricely done, sir! :clown:

For the next iteration, you just need to arrange each grain to make a picture prior to casting :biggrin:

Ligget

That is a fantastic pen Jeff, I love the blank too, black ti was the perfect choice to compliment the blank! I am looking for around 6 blanks with only rice in the cast to give to my local Chinese take-away, can you help me Jeff?

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
We have guys that can carve your name on a piece of rice at the local flea market, perhaps you could offer personalized rice pens.:) IS there a difference in Rice a Roni and the bags of regular white rice? Mike

workinforwood

Well Steve...Seoul refers to Korea. Someone wanted some Korea wood and someone else said the Chinese invaded and stole all the wood, so now all they have in Korea is rice and so I replied that if you want a pen from Korea it sounds like rice is the ticket. I know I'd seen rice before, although couldn't recall what it looked like. I don't seem to have any rice in the house, but do have the Rice a Roni.

Mark..if you need some rice pens, I imagine I can help you out, just pm me what you need.

Mike..yes there is a difference. White rice is white rice. Rice a Roni is an assortment of different types of rice and has some tiny spagetti like pasta pieces in it. White rice would look different than this pen. White rice would look good, but all the rice would be the same color. The rice a roni all the colors but not the same, and the more subtle differences make the blank more interesting over all.

workinforwood

I don't know how, but I bet the answer would be yes. It is possible to dye many types of acrylics in solid form. You can purchase pasta in different colors, and that is dye, although the pasta might have been dyed prior to cooking, but I don't doubt it can be done after the fact. Rice is similar to pasta, even though rice is born as rice and pasta is born as grain.

ElMostro

Does anyone know if it is possible to dye rice?
pete
Yes you can, I have done it two ways;
#1 you can dye the raw rice but the dye only colors the surface of the grain and does not penetrate, make sure the rice is fully dry before you cast it

#2 You can cook the rice in dyed water and then dehydrate the rice...the dye penetrates deep but the dehydrated rice takes on a different "puffier" form and it is a messy, time consuming process but worth it.

By the way Jeff, nice looking pen and the kit goes great with the color,
Eugene.

Fred

Very nice pen, ya done very good.

BTW, you need to come up with a Rice-A-Roni" theme song for it. Also, I just looked and Eaton Rapids is a loooooong way from San Francisco! :biggrin:

Top Bottom