Semper Fi

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Gagler

Gagler

Sylvanite (Eric) sent me this kit, laser engraved with the USMC logo. He provides a quality kit, and you should pick up some of his work if you haven't already.

I'm going to give it to my Dad, a USMC veteran of the early to mid 60's, for Christmas. I used mesquite on the upper portion as, well, I have a lot of it. I used a friction polish on it for two reasons: I have a low sucess ratio with CA on mesquite, and for some reason I think mesquite on a pen does well over time with a person's natural oils making it darken over time (it has with a mesquite pen of mine I've had for 15 years).

Attachments

• USMC.JPG
    USMC.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 270
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sylvanite

Nice job Michael. Lately, it seems that every time I look at one of these pens, I'm surprised. It had simply never occured to me to make one in that shape. I was startled at first, but now the form is starting to grow on me.

Regards,
Eric

Gagler

Let's Take a Poll

Nice job Michael. Lately, it seems that every time I look at one of these pens, I'm surprised. It had simply never occured to me to make one in that shape. I was startled at first, but now the form is starting to grow on me.

Regards,
Eric

Eric / All-

I debated whether to keep the upper portion fat to be in proportion with the cartridge, or to make the upper portion thin in order to read the "Winchester" and "30-06" on the rim; obviously, I made it thin.

Now, I'm starting to have some second thoughts - let's take a poll: should it be fat or thin? Should be pretty easy to modify it.

Thanks-

Michael

angelofdeath

I agree with the thickness of the upper barrel. I think it should have been the same as the cartridge....none the less...it is a beautiful pen...you did a great job with it and your father will love it.

Gagler

Trying fatter

OK, I had several folks say they liked the fatter upper - I've turned that part and will post comparison pictures tonight (assuming I can get over this cold) and we'll do a vote.

Thanks for the comments - that's wht makes this forum what it is!

Top Bottom