Segments, Cones, & Elder

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wiset1

wiset1

Ok, so I spent this past week working on about seven pens and today I was able to finish the three that you see in the images below. The segmented pen in my mind was going to be awesome, but the use of the Birdseye Maple on the cap kind of throws me a bit. I used Curly Walnut, Spalted Maple, and Birdseye Maple with aluminum accents between. The Pinecone blank was from exotics and this is the first one I've ever done. My Son and I think it looks like Dragon Scales so I have a warm fuzzy about that one. The last one is the Blue dyed Box Elder...don't really care for the way it turned out. There's just too much open wood that didn't take the dye:mad-tongue: Anyways, this was my day today.

5285821079_ce89626cda_z.jpg

5285821295_441c21dc59_z.jpg

5285821535_3d0a512cfa_z.jpg

:usflag:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wiset1

Thanks David, it my favorite as well. Then again it could be because my Son liked it best due to the "Dragon Scales", ha ha ha.

ctubbs

Tim, do not carry that pine cone pen while driving, it is moving 100 mph just lying here on my screen! Man, that is gorgeous! The other two are beautiful pens, but that pine cone is outstanding. Good work on all three. Congratulations and Merry Christmas to you and yours. Tim, I love that pine cone with all the movement.
Charles

wiset1

Charles, thank you for the feedback! To be honest when I looked at the blank from exotics I wasn't sure about it, but I figured why not. The blank in question is from Jeff Powell and it was the "OGB" one for $8.00 so in retrospect it was a good choice. I was pretty amazed how smooth the turn was and there were hardly any voids that required filling. If you're looking for a blank like this I would say to head over to the exotics site and look at Jeff's stuff.

wiset1

I'm honestly thinking about picking up a couple more of these blanks from Jeff. I love the organic design and the rich colors he uses really make the Pine cone a favorite.

wizard

Tim, The pens are Stunningly Beautiful...The segmented one IS AWESOME !! Finish and photographs are gorgeous! Thanks for showing and keep them coming!!! Regards, Doc

wiset1

Thanks Doc, I have a cactus pen and two Spanish Oak pens I'm finishing up from the Curtis collection ;-) Temps are cold here at the moment so the CA was acting a bit odd and had to be worked over again on the caps. Hope to show those after Christmas. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Rfturner

They all look great but that segmented one is terrible you should send it to me for proper disposal:biggrin:. All kidding aside you did a great job on that

wiset1

Ryan, I have a second one that didn't quite line up or make the cut for that matter...more than welcome to have that to throw in the chipper, ha ha ha. I also made two one inch square by 6 inch blanks that were close to the segmented pen. Those blanks have Curly Walnut on the outside with Spalted Maple in the center with the metal accent running the length. Sooner or later I'll make something with them.

wiset1

Toni, I have a very understanding family who supports ALL of the hobbies I've picked up. This is the way I deal with being a Soldier...I need to have a way to vent without picking up any bad habbits so this is a great way to fill up free time. ;-)

Happy Holidays everyone!

Drstrangefart

I love the cap on the segmented pen. It looks very balanced and the colors do work well together. The pine cone is great, and the box elder may not look the way you intended, but it's still outstanding. They're all great.

wiset1

Thanks Kenny, Thanks Allan

Allan, the Box Elder is growing on me, but truth be told it's not overly dynamic so after working with the blanks from Curtis it's hard to be impressed by a pen like this. Oh well, it's done and time to try something new. At least I can say that I did a blue dyed elder and move on right?

Drstrangefart

Thanks Kenny, Thanks Allan

Allan, the Box Elder is growing on me, but truth be told it's not overly dynamic so after working with the blanks from Curtis it's hard to be impressed by a pen like this. Oh well, it's done and time to try something new. At least I can say that I did a blue dyed elder and move on right?

Yeah, I know that feeling. My most exotic stuff is just some simple spalted stuff. I get disappointed by less than extreme spalting when it turns down. I can safely say someone will end up totally in love with that pen.

wiset1

Thanks partner:biggrin: I bought two blocks of Spalted Maple on ebay and started cutting a couple slabs for pens and I'm really impressed with the way it looks. Super soft though and I have to use CA to keep it from pulling chunks out. Sweets stuff though

Drstrangefart

I lucked into some water oak at work with EXTREME spalting in a lot of areas. I have been making blanks out of it for a while. That stuff looks amazing on a pen. Here:
65765_129740937085980_100001502242963_181188_4155497_n.jpg

I just like showing this stuff off. First haul of wood I found and cut down to blanks without outside help.

wiset1

That's SWEET...look at those lines pop! Do you use CA to keep it from chipping out since the stuff is so soft?

Drstrangefart

No stabilizing needed on this stuff. Oak's a hardwood, and this stuff is slightly soft, but a freshly sharpened gouge takes care of me. It's been a good material provided I don't get too aggressive with it. I think I have enough blanks cut for 15-20 pens or more in the base/shop/ment.

wiset1

Funny, I work out of the dungeon as well. Military housing is small, but they give us a small storage room in the basement so I make it work for now. Once I make it back to the U.S. we're going to buy a house and then I'll have a proper shop.

Drstrangefart

Absolutely. I am planning in the next few years to hunt down a propert with 15+ acres so I can build 2 shooting ranges, and a self-contained heated shop. It'll be nice. It's just good to be able to turn pens at home. It's the cheapest possible setup, but it gets the job done.

wiset1

Living the dream...one of the best parts of being Army is going to the range and blowing stuff up. When I was in the Air Force it was about getting to go up on rides, now it's about the time I get away from the IT side of the house and get to train. 15 acres would be nice.

Top Bottom