Segments, Accents, 3 woods

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wiset1

wiset1

I was able to finish this pen after work tonight. I designed it around the time I made the Casein segmented pen so it's basically the same wood. This is a Full sized Majestic using African Blackwood for the cap and the lower segments are made from Blackwood, Redwood Lace (Exotics), Buckeye Burl (PSI), and aluminum accents.

I would have had this pen finished a couple days ago, but the original cap had a knot in it :frown: and it looked a bit too crazy to use. With that being said, I cut a new piece of blackwood and turned a new cap.

5431150689_425a45c4c2_z.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jdmacdo

Great looking pen!!!

I love the accent pieces and the subtle difference of the center section of the segmentation.

I like that one Tim! The contrasts draws my attention. That kit is about the only full sized ornate kit left. I'm still using up the last of my Lotus/Imperial/Emperor kits. The Majestic will be in my future, if I get there before they discontinue that one too. Looks great with that dark wood.

wiset1

I like that one Tim! The contrasts draws my attention. That kit is about the only full sized ornate kit left. I'm still using up the last of my Lotus/Imperial/Emperor kits. The Majestic will be in my future, if I get there before they discontinue that one too. Looks great with that dark wood.

Larry, I started with the full sized Majestic as the VERY first pen I ever turned so it has become a love hate kit for me. I overlook the pimp crystal when I turn pens now and I stomach the kits because they have the feel of quality and $70 for the last remaining other kits peaks beyond my budget.

wiset1

Thank you everyone for the feedback!

Pretty much the same as the Casein one done over the weekend. Used a 45 degree angle to cut the segments. Bought a sheet of aluminum at the local hobby shop since the coke can was a bit too thin for what I wanted to do. It dulls the tools, but it's a nice effect.

Drstrangefart

Pretty much the same as the Casein one done over the weekend. Used a 45 degree angle to cut the segments. Bought a sheet of aluminum at the local hobby shop since the coke can was a bit too thin for what I wanted to do. It dulls the tools, but it's a nice effect.

Saying that's a nice effect is like saying the Titanic may be a bit late reaching port. Definitely beautiful work. I really like how deep into the luster the surface on the center segment looks. That is really a perfect combination of materials.

wiset1

Saying that's a nice effect is like saying the Titanic may be a bit late reaching port. Definitely beautiful work. I really like how deep into the luster the surface on the center segment looks. That is really a perfect combination of materials.

Thanks Allan, I guess I did something right. I have about 20 designs on my sketch pad, but I'm still learning the craft so perhaps in a couple months I'll be able to figure out the other cool stuff you guys do here on the IAP.:)

burgerman

That is one beautiful pen! I know many others have already said it, and they are right - it exudes class!

PenPal

Tim from over the seas and far away.

Majestic is the appropriate name for kit and pen, a mated pair. Careful selecting in that banding with the white contrast for both joining and separation. Changing the width of the Redwood Lace is subtle diminishing toward the pen tip smooth as. Heightening the melding of yellow to black in the Buckeye Burl was sensitive and complementary. Apart from the crowd individual treatment suits you well as a craftsman that you are fast overtaking.

Enjoyed being in Germany I have the greatest respect for their trade and craft qualities I feel you are in a good place at this time.

In Stuttgart I had quite an experience having a yarn in English with a German guy speaking German and all the while right in the middle of the city he was paring the hooves of his Bull with an angle grinder, fascinating. We nodded and smiled for about 25 minutes, shook hands and I went my merry way leaving him to it. What a contrast some of the worlds finest cars are made there and it has this rural big City ability to coexist.

Love your pen and your treatment of the ingredients in taste.

Regards Peter.

wiset1

I want to thank EVERYONE who left feedback. It pleases me to know that others enjoy my efforts in pen making. As noted before, I truly gain inspiration from the members here on the IAP, so Thank you! It's just fun spending time working with wood and being able to share that with others. Again, thank you for all the feedback!

wiset1

Wow, that is a very striking pen!! Beautiful work! Where do you get the aluminum to do the segmenting?

A local craft shop had sheets of the stuff so I bought one...no idea how thick it is without heading down into my shop and measuring it. They also had copper sheets which I thought might be cool as well. Either way, they were fairly cheep and less work than dealing with the thin coke cans.

Top Bottom