Segments!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from kkwall

Status
Not open for further replies.

kkwall

Hi All,

I have a couple of new pens to show.

Overall I am happy, as I am treating these as learning pens.

I have gained a lot of experience doing these pens, mainly on small points that make all the difference at the end! Such as :----

1) Ensure that the blanks are square, and you are drilling straight through the blank. A basic one I know but I thought I had a good eye, and could drill them straight without ensuring they where perfectly symmetrical.

2) Think about how the pens are to be held for glueing. Again a basic one, but I tend to jump in, then realise that it is more complicated than I thought, and need to re-glue as a result.

3) If it looks wrong during glueing it probably is. Remember that it is much easier to reject a piece at glueing, than take it to the lathe , and then have second thoughts!

4) Be prepared to experiment, and mix woods. Some of the best pens I have made, are the result of using leftover scraps, and just playing around with them.

5) Have Fun!!!!

I dont begin to think that I am in anyway expert at penturning! I am a self confessed novice, and need to work on my technique much more.

I have a long way to go before I even come near the standard I see on this sight!

However, I hope that the few lessons I have learned so far can be helpful to someone else.

2006814195147_CIMG1008.jpg

Any comments more than welcome!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kkwall

Hi Ken,

I am doing Don Ward's CA method, and have been fairly succesful using this. The pens above have a higher gloss finish than is shown in the photo's.

I will try a friction polish of some kind.

Any recomendations??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom