Segmenting Learning Curve

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Cwalker935

Cwalker935

I am trying to move up the learning curve on segmented pens. I did these two Caballeros this weekend. They fought me every step of the way. Got pretty frustrating with glue joints letting go. I need to find a better epoxy. The 5 minute stuff from Hone Depot does not want to stick to the aluminum inserts. Maybe I am drinking the wrong brand for harvesting the aluminum.

Please critique, I kinda sorta used a picture of a Gisi style segment as a guide. Maple and paduak on one, Purple Heart and maple on the other (not sure where the purple went). White acrylic and Smith and Forge hard cider can for the inserts. Thoughts on how to improve greatly welcomed.

image.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plantman

I am trying to move up the learning curve on segmented pens. I did these two Caballeros this weekend. They fought me every step of the way. Got pretty frustrating with glue joints letting go. I need to find a better epoxy. The 5 minute stuff from Hone Depot does not want to stick to the aluminum inserts. Maybe I am drinking the wrong brand for harvesting the aluminum.

Please critique, I kinda sorta used a picture of a Gisi style segment as a guide. Maple and paduak on one, Purple Heart and maple on the other (not sure where the purple went). White acrylic and Smith and Forge hard cider can for the inserts. Thoughts on how to improve greatly welcomed.

View attachment 145340

Cody; Fantastic looking pens !! Make sure that any print on your cans is removed, and that you rough sand both sides. I would go to Home depot and pick up a roll of aluminum flashing, its a bit thicker and shows up better. When I do my glue ups with non wood and wood segments, I use thick/gap filling CA and accelerator after each segment. Just hold finger tight for 30 seconds and than move onto the next piece after belt sanding smooth. Purple Heart is one of the very dense woods, may turn a crappy brown, burns easily from sanding, and does not glue well. If you try to clamp Purple Heart to tight you will starve the glue joint because it is so dence and the pores are so tight. Jim S

Last edited:

bobleibo

I'd say you moved up that curve pretty fast, those look great. I buy aluminum at the local hobby shop which gives a pretty nice selection for a decent price and use gorilla glue. Scuff the aluminum up a lot and wet the glue.
A few years ago at the Utah Symposium, Mark and Brian Gisi were demonstrators. We were so fortunate to sit and pick their brains for a couple of hours. They sure make this sound a whole lot easier than it is. My scrap pile will attest to that. That's where I stole this method from.

Ditto on what Jim said above about tight grain woods.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

View attachment 145340

Nice work Cody. People sometimes do not realize what work goes into something like that. Great to see the art of segmenting being used and expanded upon. The sky is the limit when it comes to designs.

Now what I am going to say is by no means any derogatory comments towards your work. It is what I am seeing. And only what I am seeing and my opinion. I see on each pen your mind is a bit scattered. Take the centerbands either pick the solid band as you have on the centerband or go with the segmented band you have on the ends but not both. When doing a segmented band like that try to match the center portion of the blank. Don't go with 3 rings as opposed to 4 for the center. You can alternate the colors as you attempted to do but it looks odd with the size.. Segmenting is about allowing the eye to anticipate the work. You are not allowing the eye to adjust to one aspect of the blank.

The chevrons are 2 different sizes per pen. The angle is not the same. That kit basically has the same blank size for cap and body so that should be easy to do.

I also agree lose the soda cans or beer cans and get some flashing material. Will highlight the aluminum more.

Not all glues are the same. 5 min epoxy is not as strong as 24 hour epoxy. If you are going that route you are better off using CA. I would use Med CA. Plenty of working time. CA or epoxy will adhere better aluminum to wood than aluminum to acrylic. If using any woods such as purple heart always wipe down with acetone before gluing. If you want the color purple back then you need to expose to sunlight before adding finish.

Again this is my thoughts. You did a great job with them and to get them to finished state is a testament to your desire. Please continue and take my words for what they were intended.

Bryguy

I'm working on Gisi style segmenting too. Just getting started. I found that you have to sand the coatings off the inside and outside of the Al can for the glue (I use medium CA) to hold. The same is true for credit cards.

Top Bottom