Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Paladin

Paladin

while turning. Think I can fix it?
136548318.jpg

136548319.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctubbs

You created a work of art, just not quiet the one you were expecting. You should see my pile of PITH segmenting failures from the last one.
The idea of positioning the fillers where you want them and recasting just might work. Otherwise, just turn the rest off the tube and salvage it for later use. No need to trash the tube.
Charles

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
What size is the tube?

Sierra????????

Nope, Long clicker.

Sorry Marc, my thought was to shorten the blank to fit a sierra--it looked like a long blank in the picture. (Zen?)

If it's a click, there is no choice but to attempt a fix. Looks like a challenge!!--personally, I would probably start over--but I don't like "fixes", they rarely look perfect when I do them.

KenV

Take a close look at why it failed -- and try to avoid that failure in the future (fear not - you will find others to take its place).

Photo suggests a failure in the adhesive securing the materials to the tube. I suspect it was glued with CA - and yes, I know many have a close love affair with CA glue, but it is weak in shear and is brittle. And it has been since invented in the early 1940s. CA is also sensitive to heat and ceases to be an adhesive at pretty moderate temperatures.

You might also look at the thickness of the metal as it can be "grabby" and workharden. Either of which can lead to CA glue failure.

I have a large collection of "damn good idea that did not work" artifacts. Looks like yours is building

IPD_Mr

Marc as you well know, that particular blank can not be saved, but your idea can be. You basically had a glue failure. I can clearly tell you scuffed the aluminum. That is a good start. Based on the photo I would say the blank got too hot and the CA joint failed. CA fails in the 165 degree range. So the key would be to have a scary sharp tool, take very light cuts and keep the temp down on the blank. You can also help this by drizzling CA on the blank after 10-15 passes of the blank.

Paladin

No CA

Take a close look at why it failed -- and try to avoid that failure in the future (fear not - you will find others to take its place).

Photo suggests a failure in the adhesive securing the materials to the tube. I suspect it was glued with CA - and yes, I know many have a close love affair with CA glue, but it is weak in shear and is brittle. And it has been since invented in the early 1940s. CA is also sensitive to heat and ceases to be an adhesive at pretty moderate temperatures.

You might also look at the thickness of the metal as it can be "grabby" and workharden. Either of which can lead to CA glue failure.

I have a large collection of "damn good idea that did not work" artifacts. Looks like yours is building

No CA in this glue up...only epoxy.

Top Bottom