Segmenting Attempt!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from dl351

dl351

I've done some fairly simple segmenting on a few pens so far. All were just 45 degree cuts with some veneer and thin wood pieces. I was motivated by a for sale posting to attempt a "brick" pattern. I used walnut with beech veneer for this attempt. Here it is on a WSII with a CA/BLO finish. Sorry for the slightly dark lighting.

Some of the "vertical" (end to end) lines aren't perfectly straight, but family and friends that I've shown don't seem to think it matters very much. I'll definitely give this another try, but be more careful with the cuts so that lines are parallel and perpendicular where they need to be. This one was mostly an experiment. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• DSCF8247.jpg
    DSCF8247.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 392
  • DSCF8248.jpg
    DSCF8248.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

G1Pens

Looks great to me. I like the look. Looks like real brick.

FYI, the photo is a little underexposed. The segmenting would show up a little better if the pic was a little lighter.

Parson

Very pretty work. So few I show my segmented work understand the time and patience required to make a segmented pen. So I always encourage everyone on the IAP when they attempt it, and praise those who maintain good tight joints.

Next segmented project should be on a Jr. Statesman though! Don't do all that hard work and put it on a Sierra next time!

seamus7227

Nice job! I agree with others, that type of fancy work deserves to be on a Jr Statesman or other very nice kit, not the Sierra! Great job though!

dl351

Thanks for all of the compliments! I really didn't view this as a "fancy" segmenting experiment, which is why it ended up on a WSII. I just thought of it as an attempt to try something new with some cheap walnut blanks that I have lots of. I started gluing up another one last night, and I think I will do something a little different with it. I will also put it on some sort of roller ball kit, too!

Top Bottom