Segmented Wood and Plastic

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jason Swanson

Jason Swanson

Plastic and Gabon Ebony is a segmented pen that I was told wasn't possible (or very difficult). I took that as a dare and challenge. The 2 pen blanks it took to make one segmented blank are from Ed Brown of Exotic Blanks.com after asking him if anyone had ever tried segmenting his plastic blanks in the same fashion I segment wood (pie wedges or stave construction). The answer was no because the second plastic touches a rotating blade it chips. The plastic did chip a little, but once the blank was turned down to "pen size" the chipping was all gone in the form of skew shavings on the floor. The small insert on the cap took a few tries before making one that didn't blow up into little pieces. There is nothing in life that is impossible if you put your mind to it. Thanks Ed for daring me to try this - it was a fun challenge!:)

Attachments

• PlasticSeg01Web.JPG
    PlasticSeg01Web.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 557
  • PlasticSeg02Web.JPG
    PlasticSeg02Web.JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 430
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WIDirt

Jason,

As my son would say, " That is really terrible! You better send it to me so no one else has to suffer with it! I don't mind taking one for the team!" :tongue:

So if you really need to get rid of it because all the people that posted above can't help you stop the suffering, PM me!

cdirto

P.S. The above statement is jest for any who aren't sure. All except the part about PMing me so I can have it! :biggrin:

jskeen

That is Beyond cool! What two blanks did you start with? Is the ebony precut veneer or do you cut and mill from solid stock? What are you using to glue he wood to the PR? How annoyed are you with all these questions by now :) That is an excellent choice of colors, and a whole new area of segmenting to obsess over, and I can't even do wood well yet :) Oh, one more. What saw and blade are you using to cut your "staves"?

Thanks
James

alphageek

Former Moderator
Holy cow thats cool Jason! I would have agreed with Ed that making the 'staves' would have been the killer point.... Wicked work! Congrats! Very 'front page worthy' pen IMO!

Thats a great looking pen...now that you know you can do it.....I bet there is going to be no stopping you with designs!!! Can't wait!

Jason Swanson

That is Beyond cool! What two blanks did you start with? Is the ebony precut veneer or do you cut and mill from solid stock? What are you using to glue he wood to the PR? How annoyed are you with all these questions by now :) That is an excellent choice of colors, and a whole new area of segmenting to obsess over, and I can't even do wood well yet :) Oh, one more. What saw and blade are you using to cut your "staves"?

Thanks
James
Thanks for all the kind comments everyone! I don't know who "Steve" is, but I'm Jason and this is my pen. The pen blanks were chosen by Ed and I don't know what he calls them (help me out here Ed). The Ebony is shop made by me - I resaw my "thins" at .050" and sand them to .023" thick in my Performax Drum Sander. I use West Systems epoxy to hold the segments and thins together as well as to glue in the pen tubes. I set the angle of the dangle on my Unisaw with a Wixey Digital Angle Box and cut with a Forrest Woodworker II Thin Kerf blade. Sometime in the future I might offer these blanks for sale at exoticblanks.com but for now, this is a one-off.

Jason

Last edited:

Grizz

Banned
I normally don't like staved pens... but WOW I love this one. Great work!

Top Bottom