Segmented Spider

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jkeithrussell

jkeithrussell

This was a really (REALLY) challenging project. As you can see, I didn't get it exactly right. Lining up the spiderweb sections is a real chore. Anyway, the project is fun (tutorial in the library) and I think I can get everything to line up better next time. Wood is curly maple, black veneers, black epoxy with red russet pigment powder for the spider. CA finish.

Attachments

• IMG_1242[1].jpg
    IMG_1242[1].jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG_1244[1].jpg
    IMG_1244[1].jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
This was a really (REALLY) challenging project. As you can see, I didn't get it exactly right. Lining up the spiderweb sections is a real chore. Anyway, the project is fun (tutorial in the library) and I think I can get everything to line up better next time. Wood is curly maple, black veneers, black epoxy with red russet pigment powder for the spider. CA finish.
Now that is real cool. I'm going to have to give that one a try.

workinforwood

Oh yea..well done Keith! I so remember that..I made that same pen, one of my first segmentation pens. You did sweet. It's a bugger running a perfect verticle 45 on the saw. Do you remember that other guy that re-vamped the spider web pen? I can't remember who that guy was, but he was out of control!!! Might be a tutorial around here somewhere on what he did to really kick that web into high gear. That's your next project.

Last edited:

jkeithrussell

Oh yea..well done Keith! I so remember that..I made that same pen, one of my first segmentation pens. You did sweet. It's a bugger running a perfect verticle 45 on the saw. Do you remember that other guy that re-vamped the spider web pen? I can't remember who that guy was, but he was out of control!!! Might be a tutorial around here somewhere on what he did to really kick that web into high gear. That's your next project.

I haven't seen the re-vamped version, but I will look for it. I thought about running the web all the way to the top and putting the spider in the web. But I worried about it looking too busy. Another idea was to turn it upside down and have the spider coming down out of the web toward the nib. But, the pen is thinner on that end so the spider would have to be smaller and I was already having trouble getting the spiders to stay on their own sides of the blank.

Thanks for the comments.

Top Bottom