Segmented Slimline Entry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from alphageek

Status
Not open for further replies.

alphageek

Former Moderator
Here is my entry to the contest. Just like Chris, I wanted to try and get something unique entered. But there is a bit of a story here too.

I had seen alot of segmenting, I really liked the color combination of the Rosewood and Redheart, and I added a maple veneer between segments to really make it pop. So I created this pen:
tn_IMG_5306%20cropped.jpg

As happy as was with this, there was 2 problems: 1- I didn't think there was anything overly new about the segmenting and 2 - being my first closed end, it didn't use all the parts and broke the rules.

So I took what I saw, started drawing some ideas out on paper and came up with this one:
tn_right.jpg
tn_left.jpg
tn_top.jpg

Anyone who has made a celtic ring, knows that the segments when you start don't look like the ring when done. So the interesting thing for me here was planning the final locations of the rings within the segments, given my overall goal for the pen shape.

As for shape - this shape (I call it double bump since each half has 2 bumps) is my most popular shape. Most people love the feel for how it sits in your hand.

Thanks for looking and again I'm honored to have won 2nd in this contest. Thanks to all those that have inspired and helped by sharing on this site too.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fernhills

Dean that is really one nice pen,The first one you did would probably work for this weeks modified slim..I had fun doing them,i learned a lot.I did three of them in a week each one was better and i got new ideas.I came in last,i`m going to protest,i couln`t get the bricks & motar free from the foundation of the house [:)] Carl

alphageek

Former Moderator
Originally posted by NCWoodworker
<br />Man...that is a beautiful pen, Dean! I really love the closed end that you originally designed. I hope that you will enter that in this weeks contest!
Wouldn't that break one of the key rules? (newly made)

I definately plan on entering SOMETHING into the contest.. I like the challenge, but what I do is yet to be seen.

All said and done I'm very happy with the rings turning out as planned, but I like the closed end one more.

Thanks for all the positive feedback from everyone.

jhs494

Very nice! Both pens look great. I am glad to see that you went back and, even though you had an excellent pen, you made a second pen to stay within the rules.
Now that is a real stand-up Guy!

Good for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom