Segmented Scraps on Majestic

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wizard

wizard

Made it this A.M. and into the afternoon :rolleyes:. It's something I just threw together from cut offs and scraps :biggrin:. Comments welcome but most of all thanks for just looking. Doc:)

Attachments

• Segmented Scraps on Majestic_2.jpg
    Segmented Scraps on Majestic_2.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 283
  • Segmented Scraps on Majestic_1.jpg
    Segmented Scraps on Majestic_1.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 154
  • Segmented Scraps on Majestic.jpg
    Segmented Scraps on Majestic.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 240
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wiset1

I like it Doc! It's clean looking and the segmented wood really add to the overall balance of the pen if that sounds right. Some woods may have pulled from the look, but this really looks nice!

jttheclockman

Comments welcome as it says.:)

It in my opinion is not to your usual stanadards and this is just my opinion so don't shoot me. Here is why. The white segmented piece need to be thinnner and the same size on both sides of the pen. They have dominated the blank and your eye is drawn right to them and the mismatched sizes jump out. Just abit more thought in using the scraps is needed in this case. I am sure the finish is up to your A+ standards but I can't get past the white pieces. Also the ceter part is just too much of a jumble. Sorry just my opinion.

Last edited:

Drstrangefart

Even this man's scraps put other, lesser pens to absolute soul-crushing shame. Apparently making pens after midnight isn't the only ingerdient in his awesome sauce. No supernstural powers wer gained by trying it. What else do I need to do??

David Keller

I like the pen, Doc, but I agree with John T. about the proportions of the segments... A little symmetry would elevate this pen to another level. I like the color combo and the vertical segments.

terryf

The symmetry is actually there, ever so subtle but its there! If you reverse the cap materials in ratio you will find it is pretty equal to the body.

That said tho Doc, whilst your workmanship is, Im sure, of your usual standard, I dont like this at all. I have no idea why not, it just doesnt seem to appeal to me.

Thanks for sharing :)

wizard

Terry, David and John, I agree with all of you. The story behind this pen is rather embarrassing:redface:. This was the most frustrating experience I have ever had making a pen:frown:. It started with my drilling the hole for the cap blank accidentally into the lower blank and it went down hill from there:rolleyes:. You really don't want to know how far downhill but it involved turning down to the brass two areas where the Alternate Ivory cracked....trying to find cutoffs of alternate ivory to fit..using the bottom blank for the top...get the picture?...:eek::eek:. The only thing that is important about this pen is that it survived my wanting to destroy it with a large hammer. I felt decent about the recovery. When I said from scraps I really meant it in the worst sense. Regards, Doc

Last edited:

terryf

Terry, David and John, I agree with all of you. The story behind this pen is rather embarrassing:redface:. This was the most frustrating experience I have ever had making a pen:frown:. It started with my drilling the hole for the cap blank accidentally into the lower blank and it went down hill from there:rolleyes:. You really don't want to know how far downhill but it involved turning down to the brass two areas where the Alternate Ivory cracked....trying to find cutoffs of alternate ivory to fit..using the bottom blank for the top...get the picture?...:eek::eek:. The only thing that is important about this pen is that it survived my wanting to destroy it with a large hammer. I felt decent about the recovery. When I said from scraps I really meant it in the worst sense. Regards, Doc

Now that, Doc, I can relate to!!

I had a piece of wood that I had been nursing on the lathe and at 99 I nicked something and it ripped a chunk of wood out of the blank.

I spent just over four hours repairing it and I must say, I had considered pushing C-4 into the tubes on more than one occasion but having now finished it, I'm quite chuffed with the end result:)

In your case well done and dont forget, diazepam is your friend :biggrin::eek::tongue:

jttheclockman

Doc sometimes though you have to just chuck them and start over. Trying to save such little material to me is a waste of time and effort. I can understand if there is a prized blank with meaning but there was nothing there that looked appealing in my opinion. Yes you saved it and it is OK. Probably someone will love to own it for many reasons but I am being honest so please don't take it to heart. I have come accustomed to seeing perfection from you and this did not fit that bill in my opinion.

Take care Doc and good to know you are human just like us because I was beginning to wonder with all the great looking pens you put out early in the mornings. :biggrin:

Top Bottom