Segmented, Scalloped, Burled, and Ivory

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wiset1

PenMan1

Tim:
This is my favorite of your posted work to date.

Usually, I am NOT a fan of segmented pens because frequently they just look "all chopped up and goofy". Additionally, scalloping often looks "overdone". BUT YOU NAILED THIS ONE!

I am also impressed with the blood, sweat and tears that went in to making the scallops align at the centerband. THIS ALONE IS NOT AN EASY TASK, as a 1/64" movement in pressing makes for a LONG day!!!!

The ONLY thing that I would change on this pen would be to replace the "pimp stone" on the clip with a piece of matching/ contrasting material. This is NOT a "put down" of the pen as it is FAB! The crystal is just not my favorite decoration.

THIS PEN IS WITHOUT DOUBT FRONT PAGE WORTHY!

BRAVO, SIR! Nicely and Elegantly done!

Respectfully submitted.

wiset1

Tim:
This is my favorite of your posted work to date.

Usually, I am NOT a fan of segmented pens because frequently they just look "all chopped up and goofy". Additionally, scalloping often looks "overdone". BUT YOU NAILED THIS ONE!

I am also impressed with the blood, sweat and tears that went in to making the scallops align at the centerband. THIS ALONE IS NOT AN EASY TASK, as a 1/64" movement in pressing makes for a LONG day!!!!

The ONLY thing that I would change on this pen would be to replace the "pimp stone" on the clip with a piece of matching/ contrasting material. This is NOT a "put down" of the pen as it is FAB! The crystal is just not my favorite decoration.

THIS PEN IS WITHOUT DOUBT FRONT PAGE WORTHY!

BRAVO, SIR! Nicely and Elegantly done!

Respectfully submitted.

Thanks partner! I agree with the stone on these kits, but the truth is I've been getting lazy these days and by the time I get the blank turned and the finish on the pen I just want it to be done. I really need to change my train of thought on that and go that extra mile. I finish half of a scalloped pen today using Clear Alt Ivory as the body, and Butterscotch Ripple Lucite as the scallops with brass accents in the fold. It looks clean and simple and I used a full sized Statesman to do away with the pimp crystal. I hope to have the cap finished tomorrow with pictures to follow.

Take it easy and thanks again for the feedback

PenMan1

I can't wait to see it, Tim! Sounds "yummy"!

Butterscotch is one of my favorite materials! I usually choose banded over alt Ivory, but banded would likely look out of place with Butter lucite!

wiset1

That's what I figured so I used the one blank of Clear Ivory I had to mix with the Butterscotch. It looks pretty slick so far and may be a lead into some other ideas I had. Issue was painting the accents so the transparency of the lucite didn't ruin the effort. I really had to lay on the thin ca over the scallops as I did them to keep the lucite from breaking the bond between the paint and the brass accent. It turned out...fingers crossed for the cap for tomorrow since I have to use that huge drill bit!!!!

Haynie

Well your butt's been buttered pretty good and well deserved too. (My grand mother had a lot of weird sayings)

Very very nice.

Rmartin

That's a really nice pen. I tried and failed a few weeks ago in my scallop attempt. I had a blow out on each blank. Are you using CA glue? I've had problems with CA segmenting. 5 minute epoxy seems to work better for me, but it's not as easy or quick to set as CA.

wiset1

That's a really nice pen. I tried and failed a few weeks ago in my scallop attempt. I had a blow out on each blank. Are you using CA glue? I've had problems with CA segmenting. 5 minute epoxy seems to work better for me, but it's not as easy or quick to set as CA.

I use either Medium CA or the rubber infused CA to absorb shock. I found the trick to keeping it together is the thin CA! I make sure I pour thin CA over the entire blank when I'm finished building the blank and prior to drilling. After I drill I pour thin CA into the void and let it dry before I insert and secure the tube with more CA. This adds strength to the parts and seems to work for me. Take your time with the cuts and be sure to sharpen your tools. That seems to work for me...for now:rolleyes:

Last edited:

wiset1

Thanks again for all the positive feedback. I've been told multiple times that a select few of my pens are front page material, but it never seems to happen. Oh well...I do this for fun not the fame, ha ha ha.

Best wishes everyone and thanks for looking!

Gilrock

After staring at this pen more I think it would look nicer if the clip was rotated 90 degrees. I was remembering a pen I saw earlier with the blue true stone, brass, and white ivory and how nice it looked with the clip aligned with the center blue true stone segment...so I looked back and damn it if wasn't you're pen...lol.

I'm still trying to make that pen by the way. So far I have the cap...the other half didn't make it....and that was on try #2. I was using that alt ivory material from EB and it blows up rather easy when you have a horizontal segment. I think there are extra forces when the tool is hitting the horizontal brass piece and then transitioning directly into the alt ivory. I was using a carbide tipped EasyWood tool with the round bit and I had even bought a brand new tip for try #2. The only way the cap survived was I went halfway with the carbide tool then used 60 grit sandpaper to finish it down. And damn if it didn't almost blow apart even with the sandpaper. Luckily I noticed the seperation of the ivory from the brass while sanding and was able to stop the lathe and re-glue it all back together. That has been the one pen that has kicked my a$$.

Gil

BSea

They are really easy to do . . . . . . . . . . .
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Princess_Bride-536.jpg

Your earlier pen inspired me to do my 1st (and so far only) scalloped pen. It was fun, but "EASY" never crossed my mind.

Last edited:

wiset1

They are really easy to do . . . . . . . . . . .
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Princess_Bride-536.jpg

Your earlier pen inspired me to do my 1st (and so far only) scalloped pen. It was fun, but "EASY" never crossed my mind.

This is too funny! My family and I love this movie and it really put a smile on my face when I read the quote. When I say easy, I'm comparing it to stuff I do in the Army and this just seems easier than Soldier work. Easy:biggrin:

wiset1

Thank you again everyone for the feedback!

Gil,...you'll get it. Sharp tools and take your time...that's about all I can say. Oh, be sure to seal the pen with thin CA as you turn it down and take breaks so you don't generate too much heat against the brass or aluminum accents. Slow and steady I guess.

Best wishes everyone and thanks again.

wiset1

I'm just happy that people like it and the truth is I hope it inspires others to give it a try. I love learning from the folks here on the IAP so it pleases me to know that I can share a little. I just hope I can keep doing stuff like this as time allows. Once the baby gets here I'll have about two weeks then it's back on the road!

D.Oliver

I have to ask. With your amazing segmenting skills, why on earth did you not enter a pen in the Best of IAP contest?

wiset1

I have to ask. With your amazing segmenting skills, why on earth did you not enter a pen in the Best of IAP contest?

I'm just lazy I guess:rolleyes: Really though, I just like making pens and I'm sure there are others who could and have topped this pen. It's all in fun:biggrin:

Thanks!

Rmartin

I use either Medium CA or the rubber infused CA to absorb shock. I found the trick to keeping it together is the thin CA! I make sure I pour thin CA over the entire blank when I'm finished building the blank and prior to drilling. After I drill I pour thin CA into the void and let it dry before I insert and secure the tube with more CA. This adds strength to the parts and seems to work for me. Take your time with the cuts and be sure to sharpen your tools. That seems to work for me...for now:rolleyes:

Thanks. I think I'll try a better CA glue.

greggas

Elegant pen. Nicely dome.....never had much desire to do a segmented pen but I think you have motivated me to jump in after this season is over.
Thanks for sharing

clapiana

The design of this pen is spot on. Love the contrasting grain that is held together with the alum strips and the scallops anchors everything down. Lots going on here but your attention to detail and design pulled it off in a big way. Thanks for sharing, it is art like this which is appreciated. Very inspiring indeed.

Wow looking at it again...elegant elegant elegant.

wiset1

Thanks guys. Be sure to note that I added the link to the tutorial on the first page in the original post if you're interested. Looks like it was a Gisi tutorial, but there it is. Scallops are covered on page 3 section 5 of the PDF.

wizard

Tim, That is an absolutely gorgeous pen!! It is another example of your trademark of tying the pen together with materials that accent each other along with precise symmetry. Beautiful piece of art! Would really like to see it on the front page! Regards, Doc:)

wiset1

Tim, That is an absolutely gorgeous pen!! It is another example of your trademark of tying the pen together with materials that accent each other along with precise symmetry. Beautiful piece of art! Would really like to see it on the front page! Regards, Doc:)

Too many things going on with pens and contests for the IAP to post it I'm sure. I've had a couple pens that people say should be front page, but never quite make it. I'm happy with being able to post here and get feedback. I'm happy with the small stuff:biggrin:

Take care and best wishes Doc, love your take on the kitless creations!

wiset1

I just posted steps for doing scallops in the Advanced Pen Making section if anyone is looking.

Title: "Steps I use for Scalloping *Long*"

Top Bottom