Segmented, Scalloped, Burled, and Ivory

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wiset1

wiset1

Okay, now this is probably one of my favorite pens so far. I really like doing segmenting, and recently learned the scalloping portion of turning as well. What you have here is a full sized Majestic kit with Cocobolo on the outside, Hondurian Rosewood Burl in the center, Alt Banned Ivory (PR) scallops, and aluminum accents. About 10 coats of CA and micro sanded, blah, blah, blah:wink: I will say that I lost a lot of skin off of my finger tips on this one...no blood, but lots of skin loss, ha ha ha.

HERE'S THE LINK FOR THE TUTORIAL, SORRY IT WASN"T FOUND ON THE IAP:

http://www.distinctiveturnings.com/tutorials/ScallopPensByMarkGisi.pdf

Not sure of the rules here about adding a link. I've been asked a lot about a tutorial and the Gisi one was the only one I knew of. Moderators, please don't pull the entire post if I need to pull the links off. Just let me know and I'll pull it.

Here's a pic showing how I worked the scallops.

6415545669_c85c134017_z.jpg

Now the pen!

6415545993_3b313d2d9f_z.jpg

Cap Rotation:

6415546103_02132317a6_z.jpg

Put Together:

6415545825_a3af941ac2_z.jpg

Larger images can be seen in my IAP Gallery or on my Flickr site, bot linked below. Enjoy

Last edited:

firewhatfire

well isnt that just a fine piece of work. I have been planning on a similar piece for a couple of months, now its just gonna look like a copy.

congrats on an outstanding pen

Phil

wiset1

well isnt that just a fine piece of work. I have been planning on a similar piece for a couple of months, now its just gonna look like a copy.

congrats on an outstanding pen

Phil

Go nuts...in a couple days this thread will be so far down the list that nobody will even remember it! Have fun and make one:biggrin:

gawdelpus

Passed Away May 11, 2015
In Memoriam
That is one beautifully crafted pen ,just when I think I am getting a handle on this addiction ,something like this comes along to show me how far I am yet to travel :) Thanks for showing , cheers ~ John

wiset1

That is one beautifully crafted pen ,just when I think I am getting a handle on this addiction ,something like this comes along to show me how far I am yet to travel :) Thanks for showing , cheers ~ John

I've been doing this for just over a year now so if I can do it ANYONE can do it. You just have to give it a go and have a plan. Pretty much all of my pens start off as an idea on paper. Just have fun and who knows...:biggrin:

wiset1

Hi Tim....No one is going to forget this piece of artwork....Its a signature piece for you! Keep stretching the limits. Darrell Eisner

Thanks partner! I really like doing the scallops so I may try some Alt Ivory and Lucite. Not sure if the transparent lucite will pose an issue with the look of the scallops...:confused: Only one way to find out. Thanks for the feedback Darrell

Drstrangefart

Hi Tim....No one is going to forget this piece of artwork....Its a signature piece for you! Keep stretching the limits. Darrell Eisner

Thanks partner! I really like doing the scallops so I may try some Alt Ivory and Lucite. Not sure if the transparent lucite will pose an issue with the look of the scallops...:confused: Only one way to find out. Thanks for the feedback Darrell

If the lucite is transparent, you can use some color (Like nail polish?) on the side that gets glued to the brass/aluminum to get an effect. Your biggest issue would be showing off the glue.
312821_216214245105315_100001502242963_574403_373974471_n.jpg

That one had the glue highlighted.

Pete275

Really awesome pen Tim. Just curious in you post you say that you recently learned the scalloping portion, did you teach yourself or did it come from a class book or video? I find that portion of the pen really amaxing.

Wayne

wiset1

Really awesome pen Tim. Just curious in you post you say that you recently learned the scalloping portion, did you teach yourself or did it come from a class book or video? I find that portion of the pen really amaxing.

Wayne

There's a link posted on the IAP here...not sure where, but I'm sure someone will chime in. It's a pretty basic idea. Sand to center at a 45 degree angle (or other if you like), glue on a cut block of material, sand that down to flush, do the other side...then rotate and do it again. NOTE...be sure to do the top and the bottom in the same order or your accent cross won't match up when it's put together. Hope that helps...just search for it here.

wiset1

Happy to share what I've done. Truth is I couldn't be doing stuff like this without the amazing work of other turners on the IAP. You'll ALWAYS find inspiration here and people are always willing to assist!

PenPal

Tim Hi there,

Love your exquisite, precision joinery.

Please Google one of the Great Architectural Wonders Of The World, The Sydney Opera House Designed overseen by a Danish Architect Jan Utson, enjoy the Immense Sails then gaze at your exciting pen detail at the centre junction, both your pen and this building command attention. Pure class.

Impeccable contrasting timber strips from full cross cut to with the grain on the cap, the deliniation between the forgive me the sails and timber by lining so perfectly.

Enfolding concentrics in the centre when the pen is closed ground breaking IMHO creating a new standard for me I concur with our Japanese inspired friend Chris so smitten with Japanese classic finishes there is someone who will almost fight you to get command of that pen.

You have done it so many times to me now beat my brain into submission with a true inability to fully describe the total effect your pen making skill has when displayed on this forum, why not become a member of that exalted group using this pen as your submission if you have not already done so with so many skills displayed you are a shoe in.

My friend thank you for shining such a bright light into my pen life.

Kind regards Peter.

Last edited:

wiset1

Thank you everyone! Peter, I'm always blown away by your feedback...not sure it's worthy of all that, but I'm happy that it speaks to you. Take care and best wishes everyone!

wiset1

Beautiful pen. I looked all over the library and couldn't find anything on scalloping. Anyone know where to look?

PM me and I'll email it to you. It should be in the library under segmenting. The scallops don't seem to be the main focus, but they are there. They are really easy to do and just looking at the first image I posted should show you how to do it a little better than the PDF I have. Either way, PM me with a good email address and I'll get it to you.

Brooks803

WOW Tim! You sure did make the best out of not going on that trip! There are too many adjectives I'd like to use to describe what I see, but the most appropriate one would be PERFECTION!!!

Now I have another reason to make a drive up to VA :biggrin:

Gilrock

Wow...I just looked at you're gator pen and then clicked on this one next not even realizing it was the same person. Nice arrangement with the segmenting. I'll be with the list of people who see this and secretly go make one for our own collection. :)

Gil

wiset1

Thanks everyone! I'm pleased that these pens both inspire and speak to people on a basic level. I've been so inspired by the members of the IAP over this past year that all I can say is thank you! It's amazing what you can learn here.

eldee

Tim, I believe Peter used up all the great adjectives and analogies, so I'll keep it simple. Great craftsmanship in a truly beautiful pen.

Top Bottom