Segmented Pink Ivory and Ebony

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from rsx1974

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsx1974

I really like to color contrast in this pen.

My family convinced me to start a web site, so that what I did on vacation for the last couple weeks. Tired of staring at a computer screen but can't stay away.

I blame all you guys in some small way........:D

20078301759_Pink%20ebony%20cigar.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alphageek

Former Moderator
I personally KNOW that he would love to send it to you.... After you've logged onto the site and 'tested' out the shopping cart feature.[}:)][}:)]

BTW.. Eventually this group will figure out that rsx1974 and alphageek are related.

Dean

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by alphageek
<br />I personally KNOW that he would love to send it to you.... After you've logged onto the site and 'tested' out the shopping cart feature.[}:)][}:)]

BTW.. Eventually this group will figure out that rsx1974 and alphageek are related.

Dean

Now that is funny, right there! [:D][:D]

ahoiberg

mmmm... victoria bitter... unfortunately, most in the US think all you have is Foster's (yuk!) serge! i've been unable to find VB in the states.

sorry, i had to mention that. great looking pen there the aluminum segments really seem to be your forte and you're doing a great job with them. makes me want to try some soda can laminations. kudos!

txbatons

Hmmmm....beer for pen supplies. I think I smell a new forum proposal!

I haven't done any casting yet, but when I do start, one of the first casts I want to try is wrapping Shiner (Texas beer) bottle caps around a tube.

Thought about a "redneck bottle stopper"...a Shiner bottle cap floating in a wine stopper. Very classy. And East Texan [;)]

Rifleman1776

I have to plagarize others words, nice combination of colors. Also, excellent treatment on angles, laminations, plating choice, etc. All in all, a very stylish pen. My concern, I hope it stays together for you. Both those woods have a reputation for self-destruction. Be sad to see cracking.

alphageek

Former Moderator
Originally posted by GaryMGg
<br />Nice work on the pen John, and nice work on the website Dean.
Thanks Gary. I'm pretty happy with the site so far... And very happy with my new addiction - which keeps me away from the computer more!

Dean

IPD_Mrs

John when you glued this up did you use CA epoxy or gorilla glue?

I am curious as to which works best with the aluminum. Also do you sand the paint off of the can before you glue it up?

Mike

alphageek

Former Moderator
John told me he uses CA, and yes sands it a bit before gluing (I'm trying my first try at this this weekend so we'll see how this goes.)

rsx1974

Mike,
My brother was right.
I use thick CA and accelator.
I actually lightly sand (400 grit) BOTH sides.
The key to segmenting is your cuts, so the better the blade the better the cuts the better jonts you have.
I use a Freud Diablo thin kerf 80 tooth blade.

IPD_Mrs

Then I guess my Forrest WWII thin kerf will be sufficient then.[:p]

I was more concerned about the aluminum and it holding with CA. I just wondered if you had any problem there as I had planned on trying epoxy for adding aluminum.

Mike

rsx1974

Mike,

The first couple I made I was nervous when I drilled the blank out for the tubes but I have had no failures and once you glue in the brass tubes it's tied all together.

I will turn and sand the pen all they to the point of applying finish and stop. Then I let the blank completely cool to see how the materials are going to expand and contract. Once cooled I final sand and finish.

Hope some of this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom