Segmented piece.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from turn81

turn81

I'm pretty happy with how this guy turned out. I'm new to pen turning (in fact, my first pen was just last week). I'm also never satisfied with status quo and love to challenge myself. So....I went with a herringbone pattern. It was fun. I'm happy with how it turned out. What are your thoughts? Any suggestions on how I could make this better?

c33296a063634b5c20c2a8fca1deb387.jpg
45d2099c4b156497f7826082a3b9fc07.jpg
d1febd1b038dcd8a918535e17cd999ef.jpg
4ad0e2eddc049e25b6709fc8d24a2a1b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Well done Pete. I love how walnut and maple compliment each other. The overall pen is nicely balanced.

A minor point, but the two accent rings/burn lines on the lower blank really adda nice touch!

Have FUN!

turn81

Great Pen, Pete.
Nice Herring Bone Segmentation, Good choice of Contrasting Woods.
Well Fitted and Finished.
Congratulations,
Brian.

Thanks Brian! I anticipate that as I get more accustomed to segmentation, it will get even tighter. The hardest part was limiting everything up for drilling the tube fitting. I've heard that the herringbone pattern can go awry quickly if not lined up well. It was fun. I'm sure I'll do plenty of herringbone in the future.

magpens

Very nice work, Pete !!!!

How did you cut the segments so as to get them all the same thickness, and of uniform thickness ÉÉ

Last edited:

turn81

Very nice work, Pete !!!!

How did you cut the segments so as to get them all the same thickness, and of uniform thickness ÉÉ

I cut it on my miter and used a scrap 1x2 piece clamped on at approx 1/4 inch as a stop - created consistency. The miter does some work on the small segments so I had to do a sand job to make them uniform. I would think the same could be accomplished with the gate set on a bandsaw. But this made very quick consistent cuts. Another note/tip: I marked the top of the wood prior to the cuts(just with a line of sharpie) so I could place the wood in the same grain direction when it came time to segmenting.

Top Bottom