segmented pens I'm new, show me, teach me

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from iamfredweb

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamfredweb

I want to learn how to make the segmented pens. I need some help? I'm looking to see how to make them. Can you take some pictures of the blanks? What about how to make jigs to make segmented pens. Anything you have can help.

P.S. Woodcraft has stepped up their game with Acrylic pen blanks. More than 160 types.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

workinforwood

segmented pens are not unlike any other segmented turning, although usually a pen is much smaller. Do the search as per Franks suggestion. Also, you can just start randomly chopping up pieces of wood and gluing them back together. There's pattern styles for segments, and then there's just wild and crazy anything goes. It's quite fun and interesting. Just be sure and make safety your number one priority please. The saws are dangerous chopping small pieces of wood...jigs are a must.

Ron Mc

Fred,
The first thing you need to consider when making segmented pens is the music you plan on listening to. This will set the mood for you as you draw a design you would like to make. Then choose your wood types and try to figure out the cut pattern to reproduce you desired design.
Now stop for a second and listen to the music.
Start cutting with your saw of choice being very careful. My saw of choice is a compound miter saw.
Remember that on more occasions than not you will need to cut and glue and cut again to create what you desire.

Here is a link to a tutorial I wrote for one of my designs: http://www.woodpenblanks.com/Tutorial/MorningAfterTutorial.pdf

Most important thing is to be very careful, enjoy the music, have fun, and enjoy the feeling as you admire the finished pen for the first time.

If you have any questions please feel free to let me know.

IPD_Mrs

Originally posted by Ron Mc
<br />
The first thing you need to consider when making segmented pens is the music you plan on listening to. This will set the mood for you as you draw a design you would like to make.

Ron, wonder what kind of segmenting would be created listening to Tiny Tim's Tiptoe Through the Tulips?[xx(]

rherrell

If you use a table saw like I do get yourself a Freud thin kerf(.059 I think) skill saw blade.Also some kind of mitre sled. I have an Incra that does a fine job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom