Segmented pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Parrain

Parrain

My first attempts at segmenting. Herringbone technique blatantly stolen from RJB WoodTurner on YouTube. IMG_0741.JPG
6a203834a88f1d455ae6b6a1c371e9c8.jpg
21096ce13c8abc09caa20da33659ea64.jpg
1d05704a633f11e7403762404e2c280f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_0741.JPG
    IMG_0741.JPG
    297.3 KB · Views: 271
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

Good looking pens. Got some scraps that are calling me to put together as a segment blank. Imitation is the greatest form of flattery.

Parrain

magpens

Some folks will tell you that the secret is to learn to use a skew chisel so skillfully that you get a very smooth surface and you don't have to sand at all.

A harder form of maple will be less prone to absorbing the neighbouring colored dust.

A harder form of colored wood might also help ... I am thinking of an Australian burl like brown or red mallee or concinna burl. Those eucalyptus woods are harder than bubinga.

The less sanding you do the better the result, but I know that is a hard goal to set.

If you can blow a stream of compressed air on your blank when you are turning and sanding that helps a lot.

Parrain

Some folks will tell you that the secret is to learn to use a skew chisel so skillfully that you get a very smooth surface and you don't have to sand at all.

A harder form of maple will be less prone to absorbing the neighbouring colored dust.

A harder form of colored wood might also help ... I am thinking of an Australian burl like brown or red mallee or concinna burl. Those eucalyptus woods are harder than bubinga.

The less sanding you do the better the result, but I know that is a hard goal to set.

If you can blow a stream of compressed air on your blank when you are turning and sanding that helps a lot.

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, choice of woods wasn't a real choice. A coworker gave me the bubinga and maple when he found out I was turning pens. As a thank you, I made him a pen out of the woods he gave me.

The blank was pretty smooth before sanding. I actually think I went backwards when I started with the 600. Still trying to get my "process" down. My sanding at this point is blo, 600/750/1000/1500 papers/micro mesh through the grits.

Compressed air make sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom