Segmented Pen Entry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Nedge

Nedge

This was my entry into the Segmented Pen Category. The inlay was meant to represent a Les Paul Guitar Fretboard. The inlay was made with 17 pieces of Figured Maple and Indian Rosewood, it was then sanded, tapered and inserted into the blank. The blank itself was from a recycled pallet that was used to ship tiles from India.

Thanks for looking.
Ed

Attachments

• IMG_4528.jpeg
    IMG_4528.jpeg
    36.8 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_4524 2.jpeg
    IMG_4524 2.jpeg
    45.8 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
This was my entry into the Segmented Pen Category. The inlay was meant to represented a Les Paul Guitar Fretboard. The inlay was made with 17 pieces of Figured Maple and Indian Rosewood, it was then sanded, tapered and inserted into the blank. The blank itself was from a recycled pallet that was used to ship tiles from India.

Thanks for looking.
Ed

This was an entry that I personally liked and had a question. In both this pen as well as your IAP Collection pen, you reference Indian Pallet wood; any idea what that wood is - is is very appealing.

Nedge

Mark and Cliff,
A local Tile supplier imported and likely still does tiles from India. The shipping pallets were hardwood measuring approximately 4' x 4', the majority of the wood was 1" x 4 " and the bottom supports were 3" x 3 ". I would stop by the store on a regular basis and load up the pallets into my truck and dismantle them at home. Even before I ran the pieces through the planer you could see that some of the wood was highly figured. The pallets had a manufacturers stamp indicating they were manufactured in India, and Kiln dried.
With so many pieces in my collection, I haven't identified the species so just state Indian Pallet wood.

The wood database link you have on your post Cliff looks like the blank I used on my segmented pen.

I haven't been able to find anymore pallet wood from the Tile store. The tile supplier started shipping there tiles in a lighter material, honeycomb cardboard sandwiched between 1/8" veneer still maintaining the strength, but a heck of a lot lighter reducing shipping costs.

I can post some photos if your interested. How big of a piece do you need to ID the wood species?

Thanks
Ed

dogcatcher

This was an entry that I personally liked and had a question. In both this pen as well as your IAP Collection pen, you reference Indian Pallet wood; any idea what that wood is - is is very appealing.

At one time I recall overseas motorcycles being shipped in Lauan crates.

https://www.wood-database.com/lauan/

Motorcycles used to come in crates made of all kinds of wood, now they are metal. There are 2 dealers here, before the metal crates. Well over 30 years ago I would go by both of them eveyday on my way home scrounging wood. Got to be friends with the service manager at the Honda dealer andhe would set them aside for me. I still have a stack left.

magpens

That pen looks very nice !!

It seems to me that a lot of careful, painstaking work went into making it.

Nedge

Thanks Mal,
I had to start with a larger piece of wood and cut a tapered groove for the inlay with a sliding compound mitre saw with a stopped depth of 1/4". The inlay pieces themselves were cut from 3/4" x 3/4" blanks, darker pieces were cut to 1/16 " widths and the maple widths varied in length to match the spacings of the frets on the Les Paul Fretboard. The pieces were then glued and clamped together. I resawed the inlay piece to 1/4" thickness on the bandsaw, shaped and sanded it to match the taper in the main blank then glued and clamped the inlay into place. The dimension of the finished pen blank was approximately 3/4" x 3/4" and cut to length to the pen kit dimensions. Overall I'm happy with the results being my first attempt at making an inlay pen blank.
Thanks
Ed

magpens

Hi Ed,
Thanks for providing those details ... as I said, careful and painstaking work !!!
I assume that, in addition to your compound mitre saw and band saw, that you have a smaller saw like a Byrnes for cutting the small segments to thickness/length. . I am quite amazed that the fret spacings are public knowledge, but maybe you have access to a Les Paul ! . I quite often dispel stress and prepare for sleep by listening to guitar.
Cheers !

chartle

Motorcycles used to come in crates made of all kinds of wood, now they are metal. There are 2 dealers here, before the metal crates. Well over 30 years ago I would go by both of them eveyday on my way home scrounging wood. Got to be friends with the service manager at the Honda dealer andhe would set them aside for me. I still have a stack left.

Yes this was a long time ago probably from a Fine Wood working article when certain woods like Lauan where super exotic. Now we use it as an underpayment. :)

chartle

I can post some photos if your interested. How big of a piece do you need to ID the wood species?

Thanks
Ed

I'm not at all a wood identification expert but do recall a story about one from a wood identification expert.

An architect needed to make sure that certain structural beams used in a house were Douglas Fir. What was supplied just didn't look right.

The expert said "sure send me samples". A few days later a guy with a dolly showed up at his office with a half dozen 8" by 8" by 2 foot scraps from the beams.

What he does is look at it under a microscope, he usually gets a few tooth pick size pieces mailed to him in an envelope.

Oh it was Doug Fir.

Top Bottom