Segmented Pen, Bricks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mhbeauford

mhbeauford

Brick type segmented on a Jr. Gent. 10 Bricks per layer, walnut "Morter".

1_Brick1_1.jpg

1_Brick1_2.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mhbeauford

Cant imagine how much time goes in to that ! You have way more patience than I !
Nice work ... Scott

Not too much. Rip staves with 18 deg each side, for 36 deg included angle. 10 staves glue together to make a circle. They will fit better to glue 5 and 5 and flatten and glue together, I use titebond. Slice into segments about 1/4 to 5/16 or what ever suits your fancy. I make the walnut veneer to suit what ever look I want and cut out circles with a 1-1/8 " holesaw, with the guide bit removed,on the drill press. The stave glue up is about 1" diameter, so the circles match. Glue the segments and circles together. I use med CA and glue in pairs with a walnut between, the glue pairs until you get the length you want. I set the pairs in a 90 deg V corner to help keep the stack straight. I turn between centers to true up and to a diameter suitable for my collet chuck, usually 3/4 or 5/8. I cut then drill on the lathe using the collet chuck, cut a little long then trim. incase of some chip out. Turn carefully and flood with thin CA occasionally to fill voids and strengthen. I finish with about 20 coats of thin CA. With the technique I use I can apply the CA in about 5 min.

glycerine

Well done. It looks like you've got segmenting down pat. I think you'd be good at the herringbone 360 patterns! If you haven't done any yet, I think you'd like it.

mhbeauford

Nice job! It looks like very tedious work. Please name the wood(s) you used to make the bricks.

Tom

Walnut, maple,cherry,cocobolo and rosewood. Correction on the glue, I used medium CA and wiped down the oily woods with acetone. I use titebond on some of my veneer laminates.:biggrin:

mhbeauford

Beautiful Pen, if you made a jig for cutting the segments I would love to see it.

No special jigs. I ripped the staves at 18 deg on my tablesaw (two sided 18 is 36), using a digital angle meter to set it precisely. The glued up staves were sliced on my 14 " bandsaw using a miter and stop. Bandsaw well tuned, sharp blade and slow cut.

Top Bottom