segmented Little havannah modified

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Glenn McCullough

This is the second pen I have made for a gentleman in Singapore, who after seeing the one I made for wdcav1952 in the summer PITH, wanted one like it. It is a Little havannahmodified to hold a pump and sports a 24k gold nib from Anthony. The body is segments of acrylic, guitar pick material, box elder and amboyna burls. The acrylic really "lights up" and I will order more of it soon.

Attachments

• Yong - Copy.JPG
    Yong - Copy.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 337
  • Yong open (2).JPG
    Yong open (2).JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 319
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PaulDoug

Not sure what the right word is... Awesome does pretty good. I'm just beginning to play around with segmenting and I can already appreciate the work and craftsmanship that goes into a pen like that.

avbill

review

I take many of the IAP members pens and analysis them to the nth degree. There are many elements that make or break the beauty of a pen. Studying both the best and the worst in detail with help you in furthering you in the design elements in pen making.

There a lot to be said about the above pen. The is that whoa factor, the design factor the balance factor. It craftsmanship, the finish and I possible left one or more out. So these are my comments

1st its has a whoa! Factor. But after your first view it and you start to review the pen's elements the question Arises Has the maker gone to far in design? The pen's elements / design are very busy. Does that element in design devalue the finial outlook? It does carry a geometric style—creating a contemporary feel. The designer loses the element of balance then they introduced the amboyna burls to the pen's body. Whether closed or open the pen looks off balanced. The perception of balance is a major factor in design.

2nd The craftsmanship is s exquisite. Precession alignment of the guitar pick material and diagonal cutting segmenting. Even the alignment of the horizontal lines !

3rd Its very difficult to combine acrylic and wood. The maker again gets high marks in achieving a harmonious blend of the two worlds.

4th The finish The most important element of the pen is its finish. I personal have had a hard time finishing a combined wood/acrylic pen This maker has done a superb job.

Overall its sophisticated design overwhelms you. Its stunning, and has a mystery about it. Yet its overwhelming. There is a market for this pen type.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
That is wild!!!! I love it:biggrin:
I had another look at Cav's one too, and can't decide which I prefer:biggrin:
Well done

OKLAHOMAN

I take many of the IAP members pens and analysis them to the nth degree. There are many elements that make or break the beauty of a pen. Studying both the best and the worst in detail with help you in furthering you in the design elements in pen making.

There a lot to be said about the above pen. The is that whoa factor, the design factor the balance factor. It craftsmanship, the finish and I possible left one or more out. So these are my comments

1st its has a whoa! Factor. But after your first view it and you start to review the pen's elements the question Arises Has the maker gone to far in design? The pen's elements / design are very busy. Does that element in design devalue the finial outlook? It does carry a geometric style—creating a contemporary feel. The designer loses the element of balance then they introduced the amboyna burls to the pen's body. Whether closed or open the pen looks off balanced. The perception of balance is a major factor in design.
I disagree:eek: to me the segmenting is balanced top to bottom

2nd The craftsmanship is s exquisite. Precession alignment of the guitar pick material and diagonal cutting segmenting. Even the alignment of the horizontal lines !
On this we agree!:wink:

3rd Its very difficult to combine acrylic and wood. The maker again gets high marks in achieving a harmonious blend of the two worlds.
Very High marks

4th The finish The most important element of the pen is its finish. I personal have had a hard time finishing a combined wood/acrylic pen This maker has done a superb job.
So far we're 3 out of 4 in agreement

Overall its sophisticated design overwhelms you. Its stunning, and has a mystery about it. Yet its overwhelming. There is a market for this pen type.

Now we'er 3 1/2 out of 5 . It is a very sophisticated design but overwhelming I think not. It's a 5 star effort.
Did I say enough nice thinks for you to make one for me! :biggrin:

:wink:

Roy, avbill
Thanks for the views, dont we all make pens that some like more (or parts of) than others? I am just glad to make a pen that elicits an emotional response.

Roy,
Sheesh, I dont even have a pen this nice, though after I get around to making one for myself, I'll see if I can make one for you. By the way, you'll probably win the lottery before i get around to making one like this for myself....all my patience was used up on this one for some time to come.

Originally Posted by avbill

I disagree to me the segmenting is balanced top to bottom

On this we agree!

Very High marks

So far we're 3 out of 4 in agreement

Now we'er 3 1/2 out of 5 . It is a very sophisticated design but overwhelming I think not. It's a 5 star effort.
Did I say enough nice thinks for you to make one for me!
:wink:[/COLOR]

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Bill, your review was thoughtful and well written. I know a picture is worth a thousand words, but having this pen in hand is worth a thousand photos. In person, I doubt if anyone would consider this pen off balance in any way at all. In fact, I often just look at it for quite awhile before writing with it.

Roy, nanny, nanny boo boo! I have the pen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

its_virgil

Glenn,
You've made a superb pen all the way around...just enough segmenting...just the correct amount of wood/acrylic mix, nice angles and choice of materials. I like what you've done, especially making the pen longer and making it closed end. I really like the Little Havana, but it does need to be a bit longer for my taste. I look forward to your next one...when you can rustle up enough patience.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Top Bottom