Segmented Lacewood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from maxman400

maxman400

The blank said it was Lace wood, :) So This is Lace wood Segmented with White corian and 1/16" aluminum channel. I can tell you it was a real pain in the butt, the wood want's to chip out badly. I must have put 25 coats of thin CA on it, make two cuts and reapply CA. It took about 3 hours to turn it to size, it has 5 thin coats of CA and two medium. It is on a two tone Chrome Sierra Vista from Beartooth woods.
Thanks for Looking, Comments welcome. :biggrin:
attachment.php

Attachments

• lace wood 1.jpg
    lace wood 1.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 695
  • Lace wood 2.jpg
    Lace wood 2.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 251
  • lace wood 3.jpg
    lace wood 3.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 335
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
That is without doubt one of the nicest pens I've seen here for quite a while !! :eek: Absolutely fantastic !!! Very, very well done !!

firewhatfire

I am surprised that you didnt have some separation while drilling that one. All that Aluminum had to have gotten pretty hot. I like it. The are fun to make like that though

maxman400

I am surprised that you didnt have some separation while drilling that one. All that Aluminum had to have gotten pretty hot. I like it. The are fun to make like that though
I drilled out one section at a time, stopped and let it cool and even change drill bits twice (drill Doctor) to help make sure I made it. :biggrin:

Mike D

Very nice Max. The corian and lace wood really stand out and great choice in the kit. I'm working on a version similar to FIREWHATFIRE'S that he posted a few days ago, Thanks for the demo post. It does take a lot of time and I'm experiencing the same amount of CA to insure she doesn't separate. Thanks for posting, great job!

Last edited:

wiset1

Now THAT'S awesome! I'm still waiting to see the one I made for Jonathon, but I'm sure he's been busy with the baby and his back. This looks great!!!!

eldee

It may have been a pain in the butt, but based on that photo I'd say the gain exceeded the pain. Very nice work, and an overall beautiful pen. The uniformity of the segmenting is outstanding.

Jgrden

Remember to charge for the labor at $25.00 per hour X three, plus componenets, plus blanks. You have a $100.00 pen. Congratulations.

dansills

Awesome segmenting!!! My eyes are left with nothing but envy - best pen blank ive seen in a while. I have to admit, almost of you know, I am a sucker for segmenting!!

BTW - I think a $100 is no where near enough. IMO

maxman400

Thanks every One for the great Comments, I have gained a ton of knowledge working with these segmented blanks. It has even pushed me to check and improve the accuracy of of my equipment. The best of all I have figured out better ways to do segmenting.

wizard

Max, That is a stunning pen!! Beautiful job of segmenting!! Definitely worth every minute you put into it!! Regards, Doc

lorbay

The blank said it was Lace wood, :) So This is Lace wood Segmented with White corian and 1/16" aluminum channel. I can tell you it was a real pain in the butt, the wood want's to chip out badly. I must have put 25 coats of thin CA on it, make two cuts and reapply CA. It took about 3 hours to turn it to size, it has 5 thin coats of CA and two medium. It is on a two tone Chrome Sierra Vista from Beartooth woods.
attachment.php

Max is that channel or angle.?
Lin

BassBlaster

Very nice pen!!!

I have some wood blanks that are exactly like that and I agree they are a pain in the butt to turn without them blowing up all over the place. Its crosscut leapordwood.

maxman400

attachment.php

Max is that channel or angle.?
Lin
Lin you are right, I said channel but it is angle (Home Depot) 3/4 x 3/4 x 1/16

bitshird

Max that is a sweet pen, I'll bet there was an extreme pucker factor while you were drilling. I agree with Skip, that is one of the prettier pens I've seen in a while.

Top Bottom