Segmented Gent with Decal

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BeSquare

BeSquare

Here's the second of the custom Marine Corps pens that I've put together. The pen portion is american holly with 2 pieces of red and blue dyed buckeye burl. The cap is american holly with a custom decal from a Military Police unit. I'll be giving this to my brother and law tomorrow as a birthday present. I think with the next segmented blank I do I'm going to give metal between the segments a shot. I tried a slightly different finish this time particularly on the colored section, I used some walnut oil and buffed it in before I did a CA finish, I think it really brought out the grain!

C & C always welcome, thanks!

- Rich

Attachments

• mc_c_rb_1.jpg
    mc_c_rb_1.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 197
  • mc_c_rb_2.jpg
    mc_c_rb_2.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 254
  • mc_c_rb_3.jpg
    mc_c_rb_3.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 197
  • mc_c_rb_4.jpg
    mc_c_rb_4.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 273
  • mc_c_rb_5.jpg
    mc_c_rb_5.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ChrisN

Looks very nice! I am always amazed by the lack of grain on holly wood. It almost looks like acrylic!

bobs pens 1

Excellent work he will be very happy. Could I ask when you plan to put metal between the segments where do you buy this at? What size do you order? Is there any U tube or articles written on how this is done or where I can purchase some.

Thanks for showing us your pen. bob

Janster

...... amazingly well done. Did you perhaps bleach the Holly? Sweet segmenting too! Be well..................Jan

BeSquare

Thanks for all great comments folks!

I did not bleach the holly, the blanks I got from woodcraft were just very light on the grain, which worked great as a near white background for the decal.

As for keeping them straight, funny enough getting them even wasn't hard, getting that hole right through center was rough! It's amazing how even in just a 2 inch section the slightest little bit off is a huge amount from one end of the blank to the other.

I gave it to him today and he loved it!

Top Bottom