Segmented Emperor

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from hebertjo

hebertjo

Here is a segmented full size Emperor that I just finished. The color scheme and some of the design elements were taken from a Gisi pen I saw. This one uses curly koa, green and grey BEB, aluminium and paua shell dots.

It turned out Ok for the first attempt at someting this complex but I am not happy with several stupid mistakes I made with regard to some of the segments not having uniform thickness and others that were not completly square before glueing them together.

With design sketching, working it up in 2D CAD, building and finishing it took around 20 man hours to complete. I like the emperor kit, this is my first and apprently my last now that CSUSA discontinued it.

I would appreciate any critiques on it. I suspect I will make another one and I am looking to improve the design and construction. It just won't be on an Emperor kit!

Thanks,

Attachments

• seg_emperor_01.jpg
    seg_emperor_01.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 523
  • seg_emperor_02.jpg
    seg_emperor_02.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 406
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hebertjo

Thanks for the compliments everyone. It is funny, as the creator and have spent a lot of time on this pen all I see are my mistakes. I guess we are our worst critic!

jasontg99 - There was a thread on this a while back and I called CSUSA back then and asked the sales rep and he told me that they would be discontinuing the emperor line. Did that change?

Thanks,

Chief Hill

Well done. Great job! Segmenting is 1 off and one of a kind they dint need to be perfect. That's what makes them unique.

areaman

cant imagine doing that in just 20 hrs, youre being wayyyyyyy too hard on yourself.
the rest of us dont see any mistakes. Great job!

Parson

As a fellow Gisi pen lover, I think you've done a beautiful job with your work and he would be proud. I've tried to duplicate his work a couple of times and I've gotten close, but not mastered all his techniques. You're way ahead of me, that's for sure!

Keep up the great work. I look forward to seeing more of your work here on IAP. It's inspiring!!!

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I'm also a fan of the Gisi's and this is a stunning tribute. :eek:
Just fantastic accuracy!!! Very well done sir!!!:biggrin:

hebertjo

Thank you for all the compliments. I have several other designs in various stages of completion that I hope I can get to with some up coming vacation days. It is hard to find time to tinker in the garage with the rest of one's life always getting in the way! ;-)

Last edited:

dustmaker

Wow, that is impressive! We always critique our work harder than anyone else...if you hadn't mentioned the things you were unhappy with I doubt any of us would have known. But I understand the quest for excellence, I am the same way. Congrats on a truly marvelous work of art!

Top Bottom