Segmented El Toro

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from vick

Status
Not open for further replies.

vick

Well this is my first venture at a large segmented fountain pen. The kit is an El Toro and the woods used are maple and Morado. I am not sure if it shows up in the picture becuase my monitor at home is realy dark but the side panels are done in a double herringbone pattern. I may try this design again using maple veneers in the herringbone to have it stand out a little more.

200641574335_DHClosed.jpg

200641574356_DHopen.jpg

As always comments and critques are appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

byounghusband

Mike,
I looked at the pics before I read your note and thought to myself, "Nice Lines!!" Then after reading the note, I looked again and yes, you can see the herringbone. I would love to see it with a little more contrast on the side panels.
Very nice work!!

gerryr

Very nice, Mike. The herringbone is really hard to see on my monitor but it does look good. I do think it would look better without the CB though. The brightness of the CB detracts from the understated herringbone pattern. Just my opinion though.

Randy, the El Toro is the same as the Little Havana.

PenWorks

Very nice pen Mike, great job on the blank glue up. I am not sold on the bottom shape. It looks really good un capped, but with the cap on, it looses it's nice shape. JMO
If you keep posting these and writing articles, just one of these days I might glue to pieces of wood together [:D]

vick

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

For those who think the caps centerband looks odd on this I completly agree. I recently bought some 32 gauge silver and might go the opposite way on this bringing some silver into the body so the 2 parts look like they belong together as well as leaving the CB off on some pens I am planning.

Billy paitence on the hidden clip I am waiting for some supplies[:D]

Randy - The El Toro is Berea's version of the CSU little havana they look the same to me from the pictures but I have never seen the CSU model in person.

Anthony I would expect you to glue two piece of resin together not wood [:0]. By the way I plan on using that resin you gave me pretty soon.

Their are a couple problems with this so I will chalk it up to a learning experience but I really like the herringbone panels and will probably revisit this later. For now I think I am going to traslate some of the design I have been doing on the snap caps to the Havana's and the Gentlemans pens when I get them in. Not to mention I finally took the plunge and got some Barons on my last order and still need to try them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom