Segmented deer antler/bloodwood slimline

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Drstrangefart

Drstrangefart

164356_135323333194407_100001502242963_211492_588475_n.jpg

The title pretty much says it. My first time working with antler of any kind. Really enjoyed it. This one's a present for the guy the brought the antler to me. I have enough left for one, maybe two more pens. It had 3 coats thin CA, 4 coats Medium. MM to 12,000. Glued segments together with thick CA.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctubbs

Good job, Allan. did you think about using a blue pen kit? Then it would have been Red, White and Blue! Sorry about that. NAH, not really. That is a very good looking pen, the fit and finish is outstanding. Of course, it is only your usual work. Congratultions.
Charles

Drstrangefart

Much appreciated. The blue actually WAS a thought. As this one was for someone whose tastes don't entirely trend into the goofier waters, I figured I'd play it safe. I also appreciate that my "usual" is really good. I am finding my flaws in finish and shaping overall getting smaller and less of an issue.

wizard

Great looking pen!! The color contrast really makes it stand out. I think the fit and finish are great! Regards, Doc

Drstrangefart

I'm looking forward to getting more antler at some point. I wanted to put those colors together for quite a while. I'd also like to try it out on a golh kit, too. Or maybe a larger segment on a Sierra or Cigar. Maybe I'll have some larger antler specimens before I make it back out to Dad's place.

Drstrangefart

Interesting Allan...what is the black line between the segments???
Nice pen.

That's the thick CA. It didn't come out of the bandsaw perfectly flat and had to be backfilled a little bit after the initial glue-up. I used thick CA to do the glue-up, and backfilled the remaining voids with thin CA and a bit of Accelerator. Made for the black lines.

PenPal

Allan

Delightful pen strong colours and composite parts. One day for me try using a Streamline centre band and taste the larger pen size. I get mine from Timberbits.com David in different colours. I also love the shape you make one time for ever ago I thought I was the only person in the world making this shape all my recipients have loved that shape as well.

Kind regards Peter.

Drstrangefart

Delightful pen strong colours and composite parts. One day for me try using a Streamline centre band and taste the larger pen size. I get mine from Timberbits.com David in different colours. I also love the shape you make one time for ever ago I thought I was the only person in the world making this shape all my recipients have loved that shape as well.

Kind regards Peter.

I have done some Trimline/Comfort twist pens, and like 'em. I'm running on a nonexsistant budget and buying slimlines in bulk whenever they're super cheap. Once sales happen I ploan on moving up to Cigars and Sierras. And some Trimlines. I try to find different shapes that flow right with the Slimline hardware. Once in a while I'll skip the centerband altogether and make a super fat body. So far everyone likes the shapes I do on my Slims. I am looking forward to making another antler pen sometime maybe tomorrow or later tonight.

Top Bottom