Segmented cigar named "Persistance"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ossaguy

ossaguy

I was rearranging my stack of wood,and came across this unknown type of wood that looked like it would make a nice pen.It's brown,with these real wide wavy stripes.

So I glued a thin piece of curly maple in between,and made this hybrid cigar pen.

I wish I could say that it was fun..but it fought me all the way during finishing.I had to take it back down to bare wood 3 times! I wanted to give it up many times,but stuck with it ( I'm stubborn! ) and got it pretty nice.Not perfect,though.

Just glad I don't do this for a living!.......I've got HOURS into this thing....

Any guess on the wood type? The wood it real soft,and makes a super fine black sawdust that turns your fingers black.It was hard trying to keep it out of the grain of the maple.

If you look at it straight-on,it looks almost all black.But if you tilt it just right,the brown pops out.

Thanks for lookin'!

Steve

Attachments

• IMG_7391.JPG
    IMG_7391.JPG
    149.2 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_7392.JPG
    IMG_7392.JPG
    134.4 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_7400.JPG
    IMG_7400.JPG
    144.5 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_7401.JPG
    IMG_7401.JPG
    128.5 KB · Views: 156
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ambidex

You did a great job of hiding any imperfections! That is gorgeous!:cool: And no idea on the wood..grain looks different than walnut but that may be the picture(3rd) or it could be me:rolleyes: Did you use a filler or sealer ?

Last edited:

OZturner

I wouldn't have a clue.
But what ever ,you made a very fine pen out of it Steve,
Love your Curly Maple Insert.
Excellent detail matching insert to width of the Clip.
Your Fit and Finish are Superb.
Brian.

That is an awesome job on that pen. Both of those woods are just beautiful and you really used them well. It is not easy to get those drilled down the center but you did it nicely. Please post that up in the no comments thread in segmenting...

ossaguy

Thanks guys for the nice comments and guesses on the wood type.I couldn't say what it smells like since I use one of those "Resp-o-rator" units that you only breathe through your mouth.

It did come from the guitar maker,though.I have othe pieces of Walnut that he gave me,it just looks so different.

I didn't use any sealer,maybe I should have? At one point after taking the ca finish and sanding,I tried cleaning it with BLO,which was a mistake because the black sawdust got stuck in the maple grain,so I had to go down farther to fix it.By then it was about .100'' (!) of a deficet.I'm glad for all those stamp pens with having to build it up with ca.

Thanks,
Steve

Top Bottom